• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. B

PDP 8 / ETOS operating system

Does any one have any experience with the ETOS timesharing OS for the PDP/8. I'm trying to figure out how to mount drives so they can be accessed from inside ETOS. It's some combination of Lookup and Assign, but I haven't had any luck getting a drive online following the directions in the ETOS...
  2. B

Pidp8 / Simh 4.0 / ETOS

I recently finished assembling my Pidp8 replica, and have been messing around with it. (http://obsolescence.wix.com/obsolescence#!pidp-8/cbie) I'd like to get either Multos8 or Etos running, and having it talk to a couple serial terminals. I have some success getting them to run in simh 4.0...
  3. B

Apple IIGS Noise

I recently aquired a couple IIgs, and have a baffling problem in both. They are plain ROM 1 machines with a CFFA3000, and a Briel 4MEG GS ram card. The machines are quiet as long as I don't run GS/OS 6.01. As soon as I start that, I can here disk access noises, mouse movement noise, and a low...
  4. B

Old scanner

Not exactly sure where to post this, but since this would/could of run on an old PCI pentium Win98 / 2000 rig, I figured this might be closest. I've acquired on old enterprise/small office 11x17 ADF scanner. Came with everything except a cable, and any sort of support. I've tried signing up...
  5. B

Couple Items. Dove Macsnap and FH MFM drive faceplate

Instead of bumping some old wanted threads.. Dove Macsnap memory expansion for 128/512k macs. And a FH 5 1/4 harddrive faceplate (not the entire drive). Cheers, Joe
  6. B

Tape Drive / Voice/Data Modem

Lookin for a tape drive and tapes (around 100g uncompressed / 200 compressed) or larger for my linux junk box, i mean server.. I have a 68p SCSI controller floating around in a junk box someplace. Also looking for a PCI Voice/Data modem that will work in a linux box (not a WinModem). Something...
  7. B

Help with booting a mini-cray..

http://hackaday.com/2012/01/10/help-chris-boot-his-cray-1-supercomputer/ What a project..
  8. B

Video: BBC The Computer Programme

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/computer-programme/ Early 1980s.. good quality!
  9. B

MAC Floppy SD Emulator

Cool stuff! http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17287
  10. B

Linux... bringing obsolete junk back to life.

I had my website and forums up and running for a little while, then the "free" host I had, evaporated.. Found a new host, and that one evaporated too.. Kinda abandonded the project for a while. Figured with the amount of time I've wasted trying to setup webhosting, I could probably build/setup...
  11. B

Old computers still hard at work

I was watching how its made on discovery, and low and behold, this place is still using an Apple II to run a paper punch for Player Piano Rolls. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL9NudhhSQE
  12. B

Dove MacSnap Ram expansion and Compact Mac Torx screwdriver

Looking to up the capacity on my 128k Mac, and the Dove Macsnap expansion seems to be the way to do it. As well, as the long Torx screw driver for bustin one of these jobbies open.
  13. B

Book: Fire in the Valley

Working my way through the book "Fire in the Valley" by Paul Frieberger. Originally written in the early 80s, it documents the PC revolution, and talks about the hardware (and the characters that made it all happen) we all love and hate when it was new. Pre-altair to PC/Mac. Visicalc to Lotus...
  14. B

Creating a super mac -128

I know most people say, leave an early Mac 128k as is, and if you want an early compact, get a 512 or plus. I'm just throwing around some ideas if I wanted to create a super 128. I've read at 68KMLA, that you can put 128k plus roms in, to get HD20, and HFS. I would store the orignal roms safely...
  15. B

Rebuilding battery packs

I've got a couple old laptops with toast batteries. Replacement batteries cost the same as a used P4 laptop...:confused: I've opened the case on one, and it just has a bunch of super sized "AA looking" NiMh batteries in it. Is there any where to buy these with Tabs, so I could solder them...
  16. B

MAME arcade build

Aquired an old beat to crap arcade game for cheap this summer.. Finally got most of it assembled again, after fixing the wood, painting, and revinyling the interior. Graphics are gonna come later. The 24" TV is in place now, gives me a 19" vertical for shooters, and over kill for side...
  17. B

Tron

Has any one gone to see the new Tron yet? I quite enjoyed it, and it lacks the cheese of the original (also saw that one in the theaters). No one with UV paint on hockey helmets this time. A little disapointing was the lack of time on the game grid.. We get a light cycle battle, and thats...
  18. B

OCR Software

Wondering if anyone has used a decent cheap/free OCR package for windows. I'm trying to scan some of my old docs on my scanner with a document feeder. It came with read iris 11, but I find it leaves alot to be desired. I seem to spend more time trying to get the software just to work (or just...
  19. B

Laptop battery - AST

I've aquired an old AST Ascentia 900n laptop, but the battery is done. I actually have a use for this machine, running a win95 tuner program for my cars EFI system. I'm not looking for a new battery, because I could buy a used p4 laptop with a good battery for the same price, so I'm hoping...
  20. B

The Computer Journal

Very old computer rag, with alot of interesting articles dating back to the early 80s all the way to 1998. S-100, CPM, Apple, Kaypro, PC XTs.. And lots of hardware "hacks" The publisher, Bill Kibler has made all the issues available on his website...
Back