• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. JonB

Moving a file from one user to another

Interesting, Geoff. I wonder why it should take so much longer to log the drives than the BDOS does?
  2. JonB

Superbrain ACT boot code

Your CMC is entirely different to a Superbrain, sorry.
  3. JonB

Very early VP-Planner software on floppy

Hi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperback_Software_International I found a very early copy of VP-Planner in my collection. It's a BETA version dated 1989. Given its importance as a historical artefact (per the Wikipedia page), does anyone want it? Still works. Cheers JonB
  4. JonB

Boot time floppy initialisation required if booting from HDD?

All fair points. @Chuck(G) I'd think this is likely down to being after market addons, as the price of HDDs came down. I implemented uIDE for the Amstrad PCW first, and, due to the way it boots, it's floppy only boot. I couldn't figure out how to get it booting from the IDE device, although...
  5. JonB

uIDE was designed and implemented by me, with help from Grant Searle's CP/M SBC source. I reverse engineered the BIOS and extended the boot ROM (which includes the FDD CPU code; original disassembly by Warren Gay in 1991). I've always suspected some sort of hardware glitch as the issue doesn't...
  6. JonB

So.. hello all, I return with another odd question. There's a weird thing going on with my Superbrain when booting from uIDE. Drive A: occasionally spins up (I have implemented the motor control mod) and doesn't stop until a disk is inserted and the door closed. I put it down to a glitch of...
  7. JonB

Restoring a Model II - Need a new Terminal Block

Regarding the drive stepper motor. Mine occasionally gets jammed with the heads closest to the spindle. When this happens, it just needs to be turned (the stepper motor, with the power off) a little so as to free up the head - that is, moving it away from the spindle. It only seems to happen...
  8. JonB

Model II/16 DOM+CP/M

I also produced a Lifeboat CP/M that booted from floppy and ran off a DOM. Have a search on the forum for details. The software is called XDRIVER and it is still downloadable. I did ask Ian to host it on his Model II downloads page but nothing came of the request. The hardware comprises a board...
  9. JonB

CP/M and FreHD (or other SD card HD based device)

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/UIDE_Universal_IDE_adapter_cards_for_Z-80_computers ..like a GIDE but much simpler (no GALs) with a Z80 shim.
  10. JonB

Intertec Superbrain II Jr - system disk

You have PM... ;)
  11. JonB

Yeah, they are old tantalum caps that look like diodes, next to the DRAM. Not electrolytic. But check the 12v & 5v rails for a short first.. you never know… My SB II has the dreaded beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep of death, gah! But I think SB I is ok. They’re in storage right now after a house move...
  12. JonB

The Maslin archive has several images one of which is certainly for a Superbrain II (though it boots up in reverse screen mode). If your machine really is a SB II it might work. If so, it may even read / write a single sided disk, but only so far. The DPB will be configured for a QD drive, so...
  13. JonB

Making the A drive start as B.

I bet his A: drive is playing up and he is having problems booting...
  14. JonB

Where to start with this home made system?

That's a heck of a thing. Look for ROMs and dump them with a reader. There may be a monitor or other bootstrap. Gosh imagine getting CP/M running on it, assuming it's not a clone of something (like a Cromemco, as suggested). What a challenge!
  15. JonB

Help with Elston DM30-09BO VDU board

Thanks Larry. I've replaced the HOT with a BU407 (same as the originbal part) and fitted a 2W metal film resistor at R478. I have the picture back and it is stable, but as before R478 is heating up and it is pulling over 1.4A. I've not attempted to soak test it as I know the resistor will go...
  16. JonB

I swapped the BU406 out for another one, which promptly went up in smoke... Grrrr.... have ordered another, along with a 1.2 Ohm 2W metal film resistor. The 7W wire wounds that are the wrong value are going back. I feel like I'm chasing my own tail here...
  17. JonB

New resistors arrived, they are 1.6R which is very annoying. Plugged one into the board and the VDU is running, but the resistor still gets very hot (enough to boil water on the end of my finger) and the image stays steady for longer than before, but ultimately ends up glitching but not as badly...
  18. JonB

Righty ho, last cap for the PSU arrived. Popped it in and the PSU is humming along nicely. But.. the VDU is still drawing too much, making the PSU click. I still have the burned resistor to replace, but for now it’s pulling nearly 1.5A which seems a bit heavy.
  19. JonB

Hi Larry Looks very similar to what I ordered. They are ex UK military radio parts, I think and likely rather BIG. New old stock though.
  20. JonB

Yes, I see your point. I was thinking of the traces I posted showing horizontal / vertical signals (idea being to see if the H section was interfering with the V section). Meanwhile a bunch of caps arrived for the PSU apart from one of them, and the 1.2R resistor hasn't turned up yet, either. I...
Back