• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Restoring a Model II - Need a new Terminal Block

mattc5000

Hi guys,

I recently picked up a Model II and a full three disk expansion drive on eBay and have started the restoration process. I'm calling this one the Ship of Theseus Model II as when it arrived someone had already cannibalized all of the IC's and the ROMs... By the time I'm done, I expect I'll have replace a lot of parts on the thing... I've taken it apart down to its base parts and am cleaning and replacing everything that is past saving. A mouse got into the case as some point which corroded the interior base plate and the terminal block, but did not damage the boards. I've sandblasted and painted all of the frame parts and ordered brand new screws from McMaster Carr for all of the fasteners, but the one thing that has me vexed is a replacement for the terminal block. Does anyone know of a good replacement part that can be ordered online?

Thanks!

Matt
KK4FFO

Of course it never fails that when I break down and ask for help, the next time I go looking I find what I need. Looks like the answer was McMaster Carr all along...

Posted here in case anyone else is looking for one!

Yup! I've had tremendous luck with the Model II. I've replaced all of the chips with E-bay replacements and have gotten all the way to the INSERT DISKETTE prompt! I know that's like 90% of the battle. Current issues to address are:

1. Fan isn't working, need to replace
2. Original Shugart 800-2 is not seeking and the stepper motor doesn't move at all at power up.

I've pulled it out and replaced it with a TPI-8 from a Disk Expansion System and that got me past being stuck at INSERT DISKETTE and on to BOOT ERROR RS. The system came with a pile of disks, but I've not seen a plain Jane TRSDOS disk in there or a DIAGNOSTICS disk, so I'll check them all and see if anything boots. I may need to fins someone to make me some disks, or go through the trouble to hook this beast up to an old PC. Once I get the base system working, I'll look to troubleshoot the 800-2 and try to get my three drive DES up as well.

Regarding the drive stepper motor. Mine occasionally gets jammed with the heads closest to the spindle. When this happens, it just needs to be turned (the stepper motor, with the power off) a little so as to free up the head - that is, moving it away from the spindle. It only seems to happen when I boot CP/M (Lifeboat I think) and then, only seldom.

I think the stepper itself is driven by the drive’s 24v line, so check this, too.

Finally, good job on replacing the missing parts. Here in the U.K. that sort of effort gets expensive quickly, because the old ICs are rare and there are few suppliers, all of whom charge exorbitantly. I’m lucky with my Model II as it’s not needed any parts other than keyboard sponges so far..

Yup! I've had tremendous luck with the Model II. I've replaced all of the chips with E-bay replacements and have gotten all the way to the INSERT DISKETTE prompt! I know that's like 90% of the battle.
Closer to 50% of the battle. ;)

Nice to see another Model II coming back to life. I did just put up a few more diagnostics disks for sale if you need one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/235333297347

Back