• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. tempest

Model 4 Screen 'wobble'

I just noticed that on my TRS Model 4 (with a FreHD) that the image on the screen seems to shrink or 'wobble' for a split second now and then. Is this 'dirty power' issue, one of the components going, or is there possibly something loose inside? Is there anyone going to VCFMW that might be...
  2. tempest

Vertical Hold Adjust on a Model 4?

This weekend I brought my TRS-80 Model 4 to the VCF MW and when I got it back home I noticed that the screen is continually scrolling like the vertical hold needs adjusting. Is there a way to do this on the Model 4 from the outside or is that an internal adjust? Also, what would suddenly cause...
  3. tempest

IBM 5150 Troubleshooting Help

I'm having some issues with my IBM 5150 and I'm not sure where the issue might be. It's a late version with the final BIOS, 256K on the motherboard, it has a half height 5.25" and 3.5" drive in it (set to 720k), and it has a math co-processor chip. For cards I have an XT-IDE with an SD card...
  4. tempest

IBM 5150 with XT IDE Help

I dug out my IBM 5150 the other day after not using it for a few months. I have an XT IDE card with a 10GB Maxtor hard drive (51024u2) that was working the last time I put it away. The system boots up, but right before the XT IDE starts looking for drives the hard drive spins down. It almost...
  5. tempest

MCE2VGA with the PCjr Help

I picked up a used MCE2VGA off ebay last week (seller says it was new but he never used it) to hook my PCjr up to my VGA monitor. It works... sorta. I get an image but the picture is wavy and glitches constantly. At first I thought it was that it might not like my old school VGA monitor (it's a...
  6. tempest

Wizards Castle for the Exidy Sorcerer - Bad Dump?

I was looking at Tezza's great Exidy Sorcerer software page the other day (https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2017-01-23-software-for-real-sorcerers.htm) and I saw that he found a copy of Wizards Castle. However the wav file doesn't seem to work for me, it may have errors. Can anyone...
  7. tempest

MCE2VGA with a PCjr

My recent PCjr monitor troubles made me wonder if there was a way I could hook my PCjr up to my regular DOS/Windows setup and avoid having to rely on proprietary PCjr parts. Right now I have my PCjr with its own setup while my DOS/Windows systems are all hooked into a KVM and Audio selector and...
  8. tempest

Model M With Overly Sensitive Keys?

I have an IBM Model M keyboard (71G4644 non-clicky Lexmark) that I'm using with one of my systems, but it seems to have developed a problem. The semicolon key (and to a lesser extent the apostrophe key next to it) are way too sensitive. If you merely brush against the key it triggers. I can...
  9. tempest

PCjr Monitor Question

I've been having some issues with my IBM PCjr monitor. I had to reposition the yoke to fix some color and convergence issues, and I think I've almost got it, but I'm not sure. The text is now legible and when at look at the simple test pattern the internal diagnostics provide the lines are a...
  10. tempest

FreHD Power Supply and Model 4P Boot

I have two FreHD questions: 1. I'm currently using my FreHD with my model 4. The FreHD is powered by a cable that attaches inside the 4 which is fine, but makes it hard to swap between systems. I'd like to use it with my 4P as well, so I need an external power supply. What are the power...
  11. tempest

PCjr Monitor Color Convergence Adjustments

I did something stupid. Somehow the color convergence on my IBM PCjr monitor has become off. The bottom was perfect, but the top half of the screen was off. Figuring I had nothing to lose I started adjusting the rings on the yoke (thankfully there's some white glue that sort of tells you the...
  12. tempest

Windows XP Updates?

Does anyone know if online Windows XP updated still work? My system downloaded a few automatically when I put XP SP3 on it, but if I go to check if there are any more I get error 0x80244019. Is there a fix for that or has Microsoft disabled XP updates?
  13. tempest

Dell GX260 Video Crd

Does anyone know what the built-in graphics card in a Dell Optiplex GX260 is or what it's comparable with? The system didn't come with any cards and most of the cards I have are pretty old. I'm looking for a decent card for late 90's/early 2000 gaming that will fit in this machine. It doesn't...
  14. tempest

Optiplex GX280 Help

Ok so this may be a little new for this forum given it's a P4 and all, but I'm at my wits end with this system and I really want to try and save it. I got an Optiplex GX280 and I've been having issues with it from the get go. It's the full tower model and has 1GB of RAM in it (two 512MB...
  15. tempest

Xt-ide dom

I'm in the market for a larger DOM for my XT-IDE that I use with my 5150. My current one is 1GB, but I'd like to get a 4GB one. I see several on ebay but I don't know if they'll work. All I know is that it must be powered. Will something like this work...
  16. tempest

Wanted: Internal 3.5" Floppy Drive with Black Bezel

Looks like I accidentally fried my 3.5" drive by plugging the power cable in upside down (long story). I'm in need of a 3.5" internal floppy drive (720K or 1.44M) with a black bezel and door. PM me if you have one for sale.
  17. tempest

Replacement IBM 5150 Power Supply Making Continuious Tone

I have an IBM 5150 that had a failing power supply, so I got a new one for it. It's not an original 5150 power supply, but an XT style one by Power Tronic. It has the P8 and P9 connectors and they're the correct style for the 5150/XT so I figured I was good to go. When I plugged it in the...
  18. tempest

Using Multiple Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files?

I just installed Windows 3.11 on my 486 for fun, but I noticed that Windows added some stuff to my config.sys and autoexec.bat which takes down the available memory from 613K to 589K. Since I primarily use this as a gaming machine, having free memory is a priority. Is there a way to make a...
  19. tempest

IBM Model M Keyboards For Sale

I have several IBM Model M keyboards for sale of varying model types. All have been tested and work, and they all come with cords which have PS/2 connectors. I'll charge actual shipping costs from SE Michigan USA: #1: Metal IBM Logo Part #1390131 - $125...
  20. tempest

IBM Model M Keyboards

I have managed to come across several IBM Model M 'clicky' keyboards. I have: 3 x 41G3600 (Industrial IBM Space Saver Keyboards) 2 x 1391401 (black IBM logo) 3 x 1391401 (blue IBM logo) 2 x 52G9700 (blue IBM logo) 1 x 71G4644 (rubber dome non clicky model) They're all in good shape, and I've...
Back