• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. C

Is there a fix for the Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop cooling fan?

I just got this Pentium II laptop on Ebay. The cooling fan rarely runs, even when the laptop feels very warm or hot. When the fan does turn on, it's only for a second or two. Is there a BIOS update to fix it, or is the dead CMOS battery the cause? The BIOS is limited and no setting fixes it...
  2. C

What are good examples of Windows Vista/7 era laptops that can run XP?

It turns out collecting used laptops is the best affordable option for me regarding retro gaming. I remember my dad had a WinVista HP Dv6000 laptop with an AMD Turion 64 X2 CPU and it ran great when downgraded to XP, but he wasn't a gamer. I know I need at least 128MB of video ram because my...
  3. C

Are my first 2 Linux Lakka test PCs good choices?

Hello retro gamers, Do any of you use Linux Lakka on old PCs? I am completely new to Lakka and I need guidance please on how old the choice of PCs can be. So I just picked up 2 old as dirt systems from the PC recycling center... Here's a picture of them...
  4. C

Are there any file size limitations with MD5 and SHA1?

Hello guys, Within now and the next couple weeks I will be starting my long awaited Bluray M-DISC backup. The discs I will be using are 100GB each and most discs will have a single, roughly 95GB RAR archive containing all the files for that particular disc. Next to that file will be a text...
  5. C

Calling all Coppermine-128 Celeron 600 owners...

Hello guys, I'm going to start using a Celeron 600MHz (66MHz FSB) CPU in a Toshiba laptop that takes desktop Socket 370 CPUs. The system will have 256MB of ram and a 32GB SD card inside an IDE adapter for the Windows 98se OS. I am downgrading the 1GHz PIII CPU originally found in the laptop so...
  6. C

Trying to remember a particular zombie game with unique bosses...

Hello guys, I'm trying to look for an awesome zombie fighting game that I can't remember the name. It was made somewhere in the 2010's and you had missions and many, many unique zombie bosses you get to fight one-on-one. What game could it be? It's a PC game, and probably on Steam.
  7. C

Other US Areas WTB::: New sealed Pentium III 500MHz Socket 370 100FSB for collection, or similar one in speed

I want one of the very first socket 370 Pentium III CPUs at the slowest speed possible. Needs to be still in original shrinkwrap.
  8. C

Other US Areas WTB::: Custom GPU cooler for GeForce 200 series with the option to attach standard case fans

I'd love to stop using low power fanless GPUs. The problem is, I don't want to worry about carrying proprietary GPU fans for spares. I'm all about long term reliability. Do any of you happen to have a custom GPU cooler for GeForce 200 series (Tesla 2.0) and older graphics cards, or know of any...
  9. C

When did GPUs first support higher refresh rate LCD/LED monitors? How do I tell if one supports it?

I have LCD monitors from 2008 and 2009 that only run at 60Hz, but sometimes 75Hz on a few resolutions. I want to someday buy a 240Hz+ OLED PC monitor and use it with my old GPUs. Are the late 2000's GeForce 200 series and their Quadro/NVS variants too old?
  10. C

How do I install the Windows 3.1 S3 Trio 64 VGA drivers?

Hello guys, I don't see a setup.exe or .bat or .msi file in the file folder. How do I install? I still have to find and install the DOS driver version later, but lets focus on the Win3.1 driver first. Thanks!
  11. C

Anybody know which DOS/Win3.x drivers work with the Q500 optical serial port mouse?

I just picked out one of these on Ebay. Do any of you have experience getting it to work? This is it in the video below: Thanks for any help.
  12. C

Other US Areas I really want this particular CX-series Chieftec full tower case... please sell me one, thanks

Hello, I recently bought a black 2004 Systemax/Chieftec full tower PC case, model CX-01B-B-B-U on Ebay. I ordered it on Friday and the seller has not even shipped yet. One buyer left positive feedback for the same purchased case within 6 months ago, so I thought I made the right choice by...
  13. C

Other US Areas WTB::: New sealed box - Pentium iii 500MHz or 533MHz (Socket 370)

I'm wanting one of the very first Socket 370 PIII chips for my collection.
  14. C

Am I the only one who will miss Gmail basic HTML for it's clean, simple, and easy interface?

I just found out Google will permanently remove the basic HTML Gmail version in January 2024... I always try to load my Gmail in basic HTML for a few reasons, being: 1. Nostalgia; It looks very much like my first ever email address I got back in 2004, with the same interface and colors. (It...
  15. C

Unable to find drivers for Gateway Solo 9500... Please help

Hi guys, Surprisingly, I can't find any drivers for Gateway Solo 9500 for Windows ME or 98se. Usually I can still find old uploads for other vintage laptops on driverguide.com or archive.org, but not for this model... Do any of you know which site I can find drivers? I want to run 98se, not...
  16. C

Anyone know how much watts do AMD Bulldozer/Piledriver CPUs consume in turbo boost?

I was reading about how modern day Intel and AMD cpus have two thermal ratings. As an example, the AMD Ryzen 7 7700X has a TDP of 105 watts and a PPT limit of 142 watts. PPT is Package Power Tracking. https://www.techreviewer.com/tech-specs/amd-7700x-tdp/ I remember that AMD Bulldozer was the...
  17. C

My thoughts on PC cases manufactured without optical drive bays

I can't believe people actually buy new PC cases that lack slots for DVD/Bluray drives. I hear a number of non-techie people complaining that they still want their new laptops to have one built in. They want to watch their movies. Did PC manufacturers try to trick people into thinking they...
  18. C

Do Pentium III Tualatin systems have enough power to watch .mp4 1080p content with the right video card?

This would be an awesome PC to have. Low TDP of only 32W to become a SILENT media playback PC. Is it possible when you combine the CPU with an HD capable video card such as a PCI 32-bit interface GeForce 210? Anyone have experience with this? I think the GeForce 210 needs at least a Pentium 4...
  19. C

I need help with my first vintage typewriter please

Hello guys! I just purchased my very first typewriter! It is a Smith Corona, model Coronet Super 12, made in the 1970's. It is in excellent condition, and it looks like this one in the photo. I was having a breeze typing one of my songs on it, even though I'm so young I never used one of these...
Back