• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. Zare

Are Over-The-Air TV Broadcasting Signals Changing?

DVB-T2 in Croatia, there is no chance in hell of removing TV from the airwaves because the state TV agency is harassing people to pay TV tax. We have a roof antenna on our building, and it's still operational and I use it with a DVB-T2 receiver, so I'm one of rare people that have airwave TV at...
  2. Zare

Pentium 4

Progress is always non linear. Modern PCs and connectivity have resolved the problem of multimedia. Multimedia is used for information, entertainment, and communication. Unless you're doing a work that benefits from Computer Aided software, and most of the people on the planet aren't, there's...
  3. Zare

Pentium 4

Logical because a server from 2005 was sold to enterprises and same server in 2024 is sold to a group of niche enthusiasts. It's worth nothing that huge portion of the market that used OEM desktops switched to laptop+dock. On the other side people that want PC want it chiefly because of...
  4. Zare

Help identifying strange 286 motherboard

XT architecture is very simple, bus and DMA are very crude, and in the age of 286 it was already available as LSI chipset. You won't have much negative impact if you aren't using I/O bound 1M+ programs.
  5. Zare

Pacific Northwest ### SCAM ALERT ###

^ at this point he's acting like a troll, unintentionally but still trolling. I'm done there and won't increase the post count any more. Sure but this target group is highly unlikely to fall blind to some payment scam or shenanigan as opposed to general population.
  6. Zare

A tip for those designing new hardware for vintage machines...

I've asked you three questions to guide you through the process - you answered none. You keep babbling about business practices while being on an enthusiast forum - where everyone and their mother boots from CFs and couple of people have came out to help you. You also seem to lack skills, tools...
  7. Zare

Huh it's quite funny who they're trying to steal from. Computer people that instinctively detect these low-effort internet scams.
  8. Zare

Definitely weird first 10 posts
  9. Zare

You are interpreting your own problems and issues as a flaw of the product. First of all, we're dealing with old computers. Right now you're using a modern mindset, buy, plug in, maybe run a tool, and it should work. Absolutely wrong. Not how upgrading or reconfiguring old computers went in...
  10. Zare

The operation of these devices is simple, known, documented, and there are all the tools you need (xtidecfg). XT-CF is two things - CF card hooked onto ISA bus, and XUB universal BIOS. You can even plug them in separately. The XUB ROM is a driver between system BIOS and the plugged in CF...
  11. Zare

How picky is NT 4.0 with CPUs?

I'm not surprised to read this, because people have done everything. I think the end of your post is most important - "development knowledge and tools" because they bent that NT over its rear to achieve the goal. I've seen the most inventive and eye-brow raising things from Microsoft developers...
  12. Zare

If NT weren't Microsoft it would've gotten nowhere. First release of NT had more impact in business sense than technological, it was crap compared to Unix, but the fact that Microsoft is serious about going enterprise was a clear indication of what was about to happen. They'd slowly use inferior...
  13. Zare

I'd also be embarrassed if I were a rich corporation and I've put leaky parts on my several thousand dollar hardware that'll make huge physical damage in 10 years time. I've burnt through XTCF by connecting it to a wrong riser. Fixed by just replacing socketed ICs which costs peanuts. If any of...
  14. Zare

PCs aren't actually running these machines, I don't know what exact machines we're talking about, but I presume medical/industrial. Usually, 99.9% certainty, they aren't controlled by that PC. The PC is an UI and MCU orchestrator. Microcontrollers do the work. Or else you'd be writing real-time...
  15. Zare

Info on Advantech PCA-61445 SBC

Pictures of the item here : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000007543419.html I got it pretty cheap off eBay. I'm wondering what's the graphics chip on this, and how to power it. There's a white connector in the top left that's a candidate, or maybe unfortunate solution of powering it via ISA...
  16. Zare

Greetings from Gdańsk, Poland

Hello Keritech and welcome.
  17. Zare

As always CPU and RAM are the least of your worries, everything else can be a headache, especially software support. In the age of NT4 there were a million of storage controllers, chipsets and graphics adapters on the market. The OS has its own driver model which is not compatible with either...
  18. Zare

Olivetti M300-02E drive issues

No problem, NDD is better tool anyways. That's why I said from "DOS installation disk" e.g. boot the disk then run scandisk.
  19. Zare

Olivetti M300-02E drive issues

Whatever you like. Maybe you can "fix" e.g mark bad sectors on that HDD by using Scandisk from DOS 6.2 installation disk or via norton disk doctor by copying ndd.exe and running it on that DOS 5. Maybe you can try another tool. Maybe you can just get another HDD, or you might want to know that...
  20. Zare

Pocket 386

I know this is going offtopic now, but there are two issues, one is readiness the other is impact. Let's disregard readiness and presume the car owner is really prudent when it comes to regular maintenance. He can still mount aftermarket equipment that can damage the road or worsen driving...
Back