• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

Sun 2/120 power supply

i do have one and which is untouched
  2. S

IBM RS6000 model 370 type 7012

A RS6000 250 is a PowerPC machine so a somewhat simplified POWER1.
  3. S

IBM RS6000 model 370 type 7012

Isn't this a early power machine ? If so, that CPU is a multiple dies in different packages CPUs, and compared with other RISC CPU's from that era it's instruction set is COMPLICATED.
  4. S

Questions on AT&T System V release 4 .0 v 2.1

and if i'm not wrong Korn shell support alias so: --- alias dir="ls $@" ---
  5. S

Questions on AT&T System V release 4 .0 v 2.1

In Korn shell, it is fairly easy to implement 'dir' : do it as a function which runs /bin/ls. somehthing like this: --- dir() { /bin/ls "@$" } --
  6. S

Support for terminals with magic cookie glitch

part of reason is probably that it isn't easy describing a terminal like a 3476 in terminfo, and so ncurses is gonna have a bit problem, and programmers gets trouble differing between broken terminfo and broken code in edge cases like a block-mode terminal.
  7. S

Advice on backup/clone of AIX 3.2.5 on RS/6000 Model 320...

Would it be possible to tell lvm to mirror the two physical volumes to two LUNs (ie two different scsi ids) on a zuluscsi ? Later versions of AIX allows to mirror a volume group on another PV, mirrorvg is the command in that case. I know that i stretched my rootvg in my machine.
  8. S

Stuck trying to install Firefox on AIX 5.3, help appreciated

Partly because Sun had a rather loyal following of sys admins and programmers who did a lot of design and programming for SPARC and SunOS and which was shared with others. IBM was never really interested in building a community like that.
  9. S

tektronix 4404

Hardcore x11 programming !:) Or is it X11 at all ?
  10. S

Need some guidance on installing AIX on an IBM RS/6000 43p-150

youtube Mainframes & More with Matthew (Wilson) has covered installing different version of IBM OS on System i machines (power 8 and 9.) The episode there he works with disk and reset of machine is system specific (the system is much newer than yours) but he installs VIOS which basically is...
  11. S

Sun Ultra 60 questions

The trouble is getting sw - personally i'm on lookout for Microstation and FRAME (and OSE etc.) All is today and then U60 was current in the 4-5 digits price category, and why ? because maybe i want to compare late 90s sw to todays, maybe i dont like current Windows based version of them ?
  12. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration

Basically the first computer which was simple enough and cheap enough to be dedicated to one engineer as his/her calculating machine. 20 years later replaced in that role by the mini calculator.
  13. S

What to run on mainframes?

CADAM and Dassault's CATIA .
  14. S

Solaris 9 x86 - not really vintage, but certainly very obsolete - on a HP Compaq nc6000 laptop

bash and tcsh was available early on, not really hard to build by yourself (if you have a c compiler....) Personally I did in fact build most of the gnu toolchain 93-94 on sunos 5.5 and got it working. Including gnat and at least one cross-compiler tool chain (did a build of Nachos for the...
  15. S

Newbie looking to get into vintage unix workstations, requesting advice.

The Sun 2/120 will go to 7 MB with a bit of hack, my own has 4 MB (which was supported.)
  16. S

DEC Pro/380

Took out my 380 yesterday. Did i got lucky - the machine complained about missing disk (closed door) so i opened the disk drive doors and rebooted and the machine came up in P/OS. Did i got lucky that the HD works and the PSU didn't blow up on things ? So how do i test the PSU to verify that...
Back