• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. M

Windows 9x drivers and memory management

Hello everybody, I'm trying to figure out how Windows 9x loads its components and drivers into memory. Experimenting with UMBPCI, I noticed that Windows always takes all the upper memory and it's usually VMM32 that consumes it all. But if I don't load UMBPCI, VMM32 only takes a few bytes of...
  2. M

Command-line software for the GoTek floppy disk emulator with extended capabilities

Cool scripts, they were helpful. I strongly recommend you to try FlashFloppy. Flashing the firmware requires little technical knowledge and it's MUCH better than stock GOTEK's firmware. You can use many different formats, DMF for example.
  3. M

Floppy drive jumper settings

Sorry if this is too necro but... could this Mitsumi D509V3 drive be configured for 360k disks (natively)? I'm asking because of the density and speed jumpers. This is info I found on a different website This is for the V3 model: 1 - 4 DS0 to DS3 5 high density...
  4. M

Bootable DMF diskette?

I'm able to boot from diskettes formatted with fdformat (I prefer not to use skewing as I had problems with it). fdformat /f172 /s Did you try this? I think some drives are not capable of booting from these disks, while others are. I'm positive that 2M formatted disks definitely don't work as...
  5. M

IBM Logic Unit 3477

LOL! I'm hoping somebody else would do it. The fact is I don't have it, but I was considering acquiring it for a reasonable price if it has something interesting in it, that's why I'm asking.
  6. M

IBM Logic Unit 3477

I really don't know since I haven't experimented with this kind of computers but according to what I find online you're probably right. It's supposed to be used with a monitor. You would hook up a keyboard, monitor and serial cable to it and maybe something else, not sure. So it should at least...
  7. M

IBM Logic Unit 3477

Are there any interesting ICs on this board? What's inside of it? Does anybody have an idea of what it may contain?
  8. M

XTIDE Universal BIOS

You're welcome! I'd gladly do more tests if you give me more instructions. You were right about disabling the "Enable interrupt" option. Now the performance is almost the same as the XTPL rom. There's only a very minor difference that I'll highlight in the following chart: XTIDE r624...
  9. M

XTIDE Universal BIOS

Thank you very much for all the detailed information. I did some testing regarding the different versions and the one that gave me a better performance on every single board (286, 386 and 486) was the "XT Plus". I tried all the other possible roms but I always get the best performance with the...
  10. M

IBM 330 PSU proprietary switch and stand-by noise

I have a device to measure ESR and capacitance. It's a time consuming task to test all capacitors, including the smaller ones, but I'll have to do it to confirm everything is fine. Should I also measure the ceramic and film capacitors? I'm under the impression that the noise is part of the way...
  11. M

Well, thank you for that GiGaBiTe. That's helpful! I indeed was able to use a regular AT PSU. Now I'm thinking how could I use this IBM PSU with a regular motherboard? Shorting the pins would make it work but how do you turn it off? I know, you can remove that short but as I mentioned before...
  12. M

XTIDE Universal BIOS

Configuring a NIC to be used with XT-IDE, what would you recommend as IRQ, I/O address and memory segment to achieve max compatibility with as many machines as possible (XT, 286, 386, 486, P5, P6...). What's the "safest bet"?
  13. M

Locked EEPROMS, can they be unlocked and re-written?

Very interesting, so you can re-use them to some extent. Write in the unprogrammed part and fill the previously programmed area with zeroes. This guy explains more about it
  14. M

I managed to erase two chips as if they were regular EEPROMS (AT27C256R and M27C256B). Not all the way through though, they still have some data, and I still can't write into them. I wonder how it was possible since they are OTP EPROMS.
  15. M

Oh, I see. Since they come in plastic packaging I thought they were EEPROMS. My bad! So no chance to repurpose them I guess. I'm reading some people used x-rays.
  16. M

Hello guys, I'm going through scrap and occasionally I find EEPROMS, for example an ATMEL AT27C010, MX27C1000, and many more. They look normal, like any other EEPROM. While I can dump the roms without problems, I can't write a single bit into the chips. I assume there's some sort of lock. Is...
  17. M

Help with a Presario CDS 720

Hey! Welcome to the forum! What do you exactly want to load into the computer? MS-DOS 6.22? You could load it from floppies (it only takes 3). Maybe you could remove the hard disk and copy the proprietary Compaq utilities on a different computer. Regarding your CD drive problem, I'd give...
  18. M

Greetings friends, I have this 6571 motherboard with its proprietary PSU (nice Rubycon caps), it has no power switch but a proprietary 3-pin connector that plugs into the MB. This connector has 3 cables, colored black, white and red. I measured it when the PSU is on, and red is 5v, black...
  19. M

Plug a 40-pin (male) CF to IDE adapter in a 44-pin IDE laptop

Hey thanks for such prompt replies! That looks just like what I need. Unfortunately international shipping is not an option for me, and locally I can't find such an adapter. I have many 40-pin IDE cables laying around available to create the adapter. If there's some important...
  20. M

Plug a 40-pin (male) CF to IDE adapter in a 44-pin IDE laptop

Hello fellow vintage computer enthusiasts, I can buy a CF to IDE adapter for regular computers (40-pin) for a good price, but I have a couple of laptops from the late 90s that have a 44-pin female IDE port. My question is, is it possible to create an adapter and use one of these CF-IDE 40-pin...
Back