• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. M

Some annoucements about Sony's new SMC-70 microcomputer!

Here are a couple of scans of a press release folder that Sony released regarding the SMC-70. I have color scans of the marketing material here: http://zzxio.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/Press-release-documents.zip (it's too big to post here).
  2. M

IBM ps2 P70 portable repair thread

Glad to hear, and thanks for leaving feedback on the site!
  3. M

British Columbia Sony SMC-70 ++ for sale

I sent you a PM as well, but I'm interested if you didn't sell these yet.
  4. M

IBM PS/2 8570: What have I got myself into?

They don't support DMA. The McIDE is faster than any other MCA IDE controller released along with DBA drives.
  5. M

IBM PS/2 8570: What have I got myself into?

I'm curious why you say the McIDE is slow. It can transfer up to 3.3 MB/sec, which is faster than any ESDI drive. The McIDE also supports optical drives.
  6. M

Working on a couple of SMC-70s

I've reached out before a few times (and to the CHM) and never heard anything back.
  7. M

single sided 3.5 floppy

That's an auto-shutter disk, the manual shutter has no spring! The auto-shutter disks would work like modern 3.5" disks (where the user doesn't have to do anything with the shutter), but to maintain compatibility with the first drives by Sony they could latch open for the drives without the...
  8. M

single sided 3.5 floppy

And that solenoid was noisy! https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO1wt3Pkz7ppZEY5flj9OFFYMCyPcDanVZTIqXoYI3yyiqSWQmclAprXgyUDrN7Dg/photo/AF1QipOEu-2VFYuVazxoNEcixwozZH7t5olV_Iwb4YUz?key=cDRHSUtIT3FQaXdMWmYzY3FxcC14MkRFVVJ3RTdR (This is a pretty extreme example of a program that used both drives).
  9. M

RAMdisk under CP/M 2.2

The Sony SMC-70 had 256K RAM cache disk units (SMI-7050) that were $875 each in 1984 (a system could use multiple of them). They contents could survive a reset, which was handy. Folks would often have the system boot and then automatically copy the program and files to the cache, and then when...
  10. M

I don't, but I'll check if a library around me has one I can use. As an aside, did someone here pick up the SMC-70 that was listed on ebay by Goodwill? It would be handy to have a scan of the price list binder that was a part of that auction.
  11. M

Perhaps seeing the other end of the will be of some help as well. I didn't list the service manuals in my spreadsheet as Sony didn't typically sell those to consumers, but I can add them.
  12. M

Is there anything specific you're looking for? I started to inventory what was released for this system (tabs are at the bottom - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1edZfjsRuWKsI13HDt1HEsuDTW6KDFdtY2DM2cHE6DB4/edit?usp=sharing), but that's as far as I got as other projects took over. I'm...
  13. M

Storage Solution for PS/2 Model 70

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!
  14. M

Mid Atlantic Selling Everything! IBM Machines, Monitors, Software | Brooklyn

I am interested in the PS/2 if this is still available.
  15. M

IBM PS/2 P70 power supply issue

Hello, I recapped the board (that was the first thing I did), and I know someone else (I think it was in the FB PS/2 group) had luck replacing the STR81159. That said, I replaced the following: K794, STR81159, D5SB60, AC12F, and L78M05. I think they were all around $29 shipped when I ordered...
  16. M

IBM luggable P70 - help with broken screen hinge and a couple other Q's

I've had the same issues with those drives, the leaking capacitors do a fair bit of damage. Replacing all of the caps brought the drive back to life for me as well. While you have the drive out you might as well replace all of the others, as they will inevitably leak!
  17. M

It works just fine without a load.
  18. M

I did! I had already desoldered (and ordered) a bunch of components so I didn't know which component specifically fixed it, but if I had to do it again I'd start with the STR81159.
  19. M

5160: Looking for 3d model of PC speaker holder

Snap locking tabs are really difficult to 3D print, it would probably be better to redesign the part to replace the tabs with screws.
  20. M

Realigning 400K floppy Drives

Depending on the drive, I know Sony had some special hardware that connected to the SMC-70 to repair their first SSDD and DSDD drives. I've never seen the software or the hardware outside of a manual.
Back