• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. P

Cleaning an oily motherboard

Funny you should mention this, but I did have some 90 minute IPA celebrate afterwards!
  2. P

Thanks everyone, I ended up washing and scrubbing it with mild detergent, then rinsing with distilled water, drying for two days, then finishing with IPA. For next time, I also bought CO Contact cleaner.
  3. P

Yeah, it actually works, just nasty... In my many years of playing with old computers, I've never seen anything like it. Had my fair share of bugs, dust, etc., but not intentional coating of sticky stuff...
  4. P

I have received a computer MB that was, according to the previous owner, treated with a "rust inhibitor". It looks like and feels like oil. It's coated in it. What is the best solution to wash it off? I'm usually a q-tip and IPA type, but this is way beyond that... I would really like to save it...
  5. P

When your like-new Tandy 1100FD dies...

Just need to get this off my chest, as I'm pretty pissed at myself right now... I had basically a new 1100FD, however as usual it had a dead floppy drive. I ordered a new belt, and just received it today. Had everything out on the bench. Taking the laptop apart, quite a PITA, but doable. Got...
  6. P

Minimum system for Ultima Underworld I

As the title suggests, what's a minimum system capable of playing the Ultima Underworld 1? Can I get away with 386SX and 16-bit VGA, or is it 386DX/486-level game?
  7. P

Upgrading HD and FD on IBM P70

I just got my hands on a P70-121. HD still works, while the floppy is dead, as usual. I would really like to upgrade it with modern components but preserve the look - so Gotek and CF for HD. Since this is an ESDI HD, based on what I've read, my only option is to find a SCSI MCA card, and figure...
  8. P

Replacement PS / Fan for TL/2

Looking to quiet down my new TL/2. Are there any popular, quiet drop-ins for the PS? Alternatively, any Noctua fans that fit? Thanks!
  9. P

Best Tandy 1000 model for Tandy Graphics and Sound

I'm really interested in playing more with the Tandy graphics and sound. I had a 1000HX before, but the all-in-one and keyboard layout drove me nuts. What is considered to be the best model for that era? I'm looking at TL/2 or TL/3, as they have a bit more power with 80286 and the 640x200x16...
Back