• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. Torch

RS232 cable speed issues. 9 pin vs 25 pin?

Sort of a strange problem... Equipment- Tandy 1000EX, Arcanebyte wifi modem, WiRSa wifi modem and Telix software. About a year ago I got back into the BBS scene using my 1000EX and an Arcanebyte modem set to 9600 baud. I attach the two with an old 25 pin cable that I've probably had since the...
  2. Torch

WTB 3.5" Tandy external drive faceplate

I know this is a long shot, but I'm looking for the 5.25" faceplate that attaches to the 3.5" external floppy drive for the EX. The drive is a TEAC FD-35. Seems this model drive with the wide eject button in the center is rare and other 3.5 RS drives that are close have the LED in a different...
  3. Torch

Is a manual A/B drive select switch possible?

I have an almost perfect tweener PC that I bough new back in '04. It came with a DVD RW and below that a 3.5 floppy. Also has 8 USB ports, 2 real serial ports, a parallel printer port and a multi card reader. My main goal is to make various bootable 5¼ 360K DOS disks for my Tandy 1000EX. I...
  4. Torch

What uses hard sectored disks?

I was testing out a 5¼ drive I got off eBay and thought there was something wrong with it as I kept getting a bad sector error when trying to format disks. I was using a fresh box of BASF FlexyDisks, DSDD (certified for 96tpi) and just happened to notice there were 2 timing holes placed closely...
  5. Torch

Can DOS 2.11 work with XTIDE?

My 1000EX works great with 6.22 and a 2GB CF; however, like back in the day, many games will not work with later versions of DOS. For example, Bubble Bobble has graphic glitches and freezes on the first screen. Playing with config.sys files and buffers helps, but the game will still crash...
  6. Torch

The perfect modern EX/HX monitor stand

If you need a monitor stand for your EX or HX, do a search for Allsop Metal Art Monitor Stand LARGE (not Jr.). Probably cheaper than building your own...and good luck trying to find a RS original. I know the topic has been brought up a number of times, so hopefully this helps someone out...
  7. Torch

Tandy 1000 EX DeskMate only in B&W?

Just picked up a really nice 1000 EX to play around with. I bought a new one when I was in high school and had a lot of fun with it, Unfortunately I don't have a CGA monitor yet and they seem to be very rare these days. I'm currently using the composite output with a small LCD TV and the text...
  8. Torch

Anyone use Resound (adlib) with a P70?

I have a couple of P70s that are interesting machines. I'd never given much thought to playing games on them due to the rarity and prices of MCA sound cards, but now I see TexElec is offering the Resound which looks like a very reasonably priced solution. My P70s are a bit modified. The one I...
  9. Torch

DMP-100 problems

Does anyone know if there's a scan of the DMP-100 Service Manual out there? I'm guessing the Line Printer VII would be the same too. I know RS had a service manual for it as I can find a photo of cover, but nothing else. Went to use the 100 last night and it doesn't want to respond to my...
  10. Torch

Easy daisy chain cable for Model III and 4 expansion bus

My Model III currently has the hi res board, FreHD and Orchestra 90 attached to the expansion bus...probably more to come in the future. Initially I made sketchy adapters by cutting off the 50 position edge of Sega Master System game cartridges and soldering a short length of ribbon cable...
  11. Torch

Model III speed up kits?

Anyone know about the speed up kits that were offered back in the day? They were offered by a number of companies and usually less than $100, so I'm guessing they're not too involved? Any easy way of doing this today? Ideally I'd just like an external switch that could turn it on/off. Main...
  12. Torch

Issues converting Orchestra 90 files

I downloaded a large zip file containing 1,000+ Orchestra 90 music files and I've run into an annoying snag transferring them to my Model III. Each music file is labeled as .ORC but are saved in ascii format...if I open it up in notepad on my PC, it looks like a perfect ORC music file. I...
  13. Torch

Will BASICG work with Model III LDOS?

I'm using FreHD and have downloaded multiple versions of BASICG and GBASIC but can't seem to get either to work with my Model III. If I enter basicg at the LDOS prompt, I get "attempted to load read only memory." gbasic gives me "SYS error." If I go into basic and type cmd"load gbasic/cmd" I...
  14. Torch

My HIRES Model III

Been wanting the High Resolution kit since it came out in late '82. Back then my Model III was a 16K cassette based system. Upgrading to a 48K disk system plus $370 for the kit wasn't going to happen...especially since I was 12 years old. :) Thanks to Jay at Tandy Assembly, I finally got the...
Back