• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My HIRES Model III

Torch

Experienced Member
Been wanting the High Resolution kit since it came out in late '82. Back then my Model III was a 16K cassette based system. Upgrading to a 48K disk system plus $370 for the kit wasn't going to happen...especially since I was 12 years old. :)

Thanks to Jay at Tandy Assembly, I finally got the elusive 26-1125 board and that same computer now has some killer graphics!

I did have to make my own cable which wasn't a problem...except for the male to male edge card adapter needed to keep the correct wiring orientation. I searched online for hours and could not find one. Anyone know of a supplier that carries such a thing? I noticed an old Sega Master System game cartridge uses the same 50 pin edge card in the correct pitch so I sacrificed a Pro Wrestling game. I cut the board, ground off remaining traces and then soldered the wires to it. Works great with my FreHD, but I'd still like to make a longer cable with several daisy chained edge card connectors and the correct adapter boards so I can use other peripherals, such as my Orchestra 90.

gpor.jpg

gtopag.jpg

Seems I can only post two photos at a time.

This is what I currently have and the second photo is the adapter I need.

gedge2.jpg

gconnector.jpg

The 50 pin card edge board should be a fairly easy thing to do in kicad or similar. I had one of these years ago, and I remember quite well what it looked like....

A bit off topic, but is that a 63-67 'vette model I see to the right of your III? Cool. Need to do a hires MIII drawing or photo of that 'vette..... :) instead of the 928 on the screen....

Looks good. The FreHD also - nice case. The Porsche picture is ok! A Corvette hires picture would be cool too.

For more than one hardware addition in use a bus extension board would be a neat.

I wouldn't mind one or two 50-pin card edge boards myself, along with a 34-pin and 20-pin.

At one time I remember IDC male edge connectors being available (I have a couple of 5.25" drives with extension cables made with them) but I can't find any now.

The 50 pin card edge board should be a fairly easy thing to do in kicad or similar. I had one of these years ago, and I remember quite well what it looked like....

A bit off topic, but is that a 63-67 'vette model I see to the right of your III? Cool. Need to do a hires MIII drawing or photo of that 'vette..... :) instead of the 928 on the screen....

That's the base of a lamp. I did the C3 thing for 12 years and Corvette toys and clothing became the de facto Christmas and birthday gift from family and friends. I have enough to last a lifetime.

The 928 is my real deal and being from 1982 it only seemed appropriate to be displayed on 1982 hardware. :)
It's a Weissach edition, 153 of only 205 built. It's one of the finest examples left.
revue.jpg

And here is a pic of the '75 C3. A good friend now owns it...and I don't exactly miss it. It was code 53 Competition Yellow with black shadow mask.
vet.jpg

Another rare, only made in 1982 vehicle. Bonus points for whoever figure this one out!
I'm really loving this hires card. :p

cx.jpg

Looks good. The FreHD also - nice case. The Porsche picture is ok! A Corvette hires picture would be cool too.

For more than one hardware addition in use a bus extension board would be a neat.

Yes, something like that with 3 or 4 male edge card connectors would be perfect! I wonder how far you can go? For right now, I'd also like my Orchestra 90 hooked up and maybe a TRSSTICK if I can find one.

Model III Hi-Res is one of my favorite TRS-80 configurations. Just beautiful!

Is it a CX-500 with the turbo? One of the few turbo motorcycles ever manufactured...

OK, so this is waaaay off topic, but do you know of any turbo bike that was not shaft drive? The only two I know (CX-500, XJ-650) were both shaft . . . .

Turbo lag on a bike . . . . even more fun that early 2-stroke power bands.

PJH

OK, so this is waaaay off topic, but do you know of any turbo bike that was not shaft drive? The only two I know (CX-500, XJ-650) were both shaft . . . .

Turbo lag on a bike . . . . even more fun that early 2-stroke power bands.

PJH

Yes, the CX500T not only has lag but sometimes overrun coming off throttle. Every close call I've ever had has been on that bike, it's a true Jekyll & Hyde and a blast to ride.
My CX650T is completely different. Tons more power and 0 lag...you wouldn't even know it has a turbo. Also fast enough to sorta hang with my Hayabusa in a roll-on contest.

Chain drive would be the Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo. It's a beast with quite a large following and easily modified.
Suzuki XN85 was also chain. Beautiful bike, but not very fast.

Trying to veer back on topic...all the new technology of the early 80s intrigued me no end. Home computers, video games or hidden technology in vehicles such as those motorcycles (EFI with 3 map Denso computers!), it's all good. Then the fact much of it is still operating smoothly nearly 4 decades later.

Been wanting the High Resolution kit since it came out in late '82. Back then my Model III was a 16K cassette based system. Upgrading to a 48K disk system plus $370 for the kit wasn't going to happen...especially since I was 12 years old. :)

Thanks to Jay at Tandy Assembly, I finally got the elusive 26-1125 board and that same computer now has some killer graphics!

I did have to make my own cable which wasn't a problem...except for the male to male edge card adapter needed to keep the correct wiring orientation. I searched online for hours and could not find one. Anyone know of a supplier that carries such a thing? I noticed an old Sega Master System game cartridge uses the same 50 pin edge card in the correct pitch so I sacrificed a Pro Wrestling game. I cut the board, ground off remaining traces and then soldered the wires to it. Works great with my FreHD, but I'd still like to make a longer cable with several daisy chained edge card connectors and the

correct adapter boards so I can use other peripherals, such as my Orchestra 90.

gpor.jpg

gtopag.jpg

Man - that looks cool - I am glad it worked !!!! I couldn't get it to work in the unit I received it it - but then again that unit had many other problems - finally narrowed it down to the motherboard. I don't remember if you were interested in the 3D printed Model 4 computer I had at TA 2018 but if you are I would need your Paypal account name. Computer is $12.00 * 3.00 s/h. I have your email address you wrote down at TA but for some reason it did not work (I have vairxprt@net.tco.net) ... let me know - send me a PM via this forum or at JAYNEWIRTH@VERIZON.NET
MY BUSINESS CARDS WERE PRINTED WITH THE WRONG EMAIL ADDRESS !!!!!!!!

JAY

Man - that looks cool - I am glad it worked !!!! I couldn't get it to work in the unit I received it it - but then again that unit had many other problems - finally narrowed it down to the motherboard. I don't remember if you were interested in the 3D printed Model 4 computer I had at TA 2018 but if you are I would need your Paypal account name. Computer is $12.00 * 3.00 s/h. I have your email address you wrote down at TA but for some reason it did not work (I have vairxprt@net.tco.net) ... let me know - send me a PM via this forum or at JAYNEWIRTH@VERIZON.NET
MY BUSINESS CARDS WERE PRINTED WITH THE WRONG EMAIL ADDRESS !!!!!!!!

JAY

Hi Jay,
The install went well and it's a lot of fun...thanks again for the great deal on it. I did buy that one 3D Model 4 you had--remember I said I felt bad about buying it because it was initially for Ian? :)
I sent you my email address in a PM (I don't want to post it here to keep the spambots away) and will make note of your correct address.

You should consider a small run of those mini Model 4s and maybe some Model IIIs, I bet they would sell like hotcakes.

Hi Jay,
The install went well and it's a lot of fun...thanks again for the great deal on it. I did buy that one 3D Model 4 you had--remember I said I felt bad about buying it because it was initially for Ian? :)
I sent you my email address in a PM (I don't want to post it here to keep the spambots away) and will make note of your correct address.

You should consider a small run of those mini Model 4s and maybe some Model IIIs, I bet they would sell like hotcakes.

I thought I sold it to someone !!!!!!! Now when Mav gets his boxes back from TA he isn't going to find it ----- I will ship him one. I have 8 left - pass the word around
In fact Saturday night around 10pm while at the show I went ahead and ordered 10 more --- they came in the other day and 2 were sent to other attendees who put their name on the pad.
Got home only to realize that my business cards had the wrong email address on them !!!!!

Keep in torch --- I mean keep in touch !!!!

Back