• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration

The G-15 in the videos is being restored for https://museum.syssrc.com, as djg mentioned. The G-15 in this thread is being restored for a local computer museum in Boulder, Colorado. Progress has been slow due to health problems, etc. Hope to pick it up again in the spring.
  2. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration

The G-15 in the videos is being restored for https://museum.syssrc.com, as djg mentioned. The G-15 in this thread is being restored for a local computer museum in Boulder, Colorado. Progress has been slow due to health problems, etc. Hope to pick it up again in the spring.
  3. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration

And another one! Removing the Rotating Drum Memory from the Bendix G15
  4. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration

An excellent new video in this series on a Bendix G-15 restoration! Rotating Drum Memory with the Bendix G15
  5. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration

I would certainly be interested in a copy of the PPR spreadsheet! Can you post it to this thread? Thanks, Steve
  6. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration

An excellent new series of videos of a Bendix G-15 restoration! My new computer weighs 1,000 pounds! Exploring 1950’s computer logic with the Bendix G-15!
  7. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration

Progress has ground to a halt until warmer weather since we need to take the unit out of the garage and have it professionally cleaned / disinfected - mice!
  8. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration: Harry Huskey

Thanks Al! That's an excellent article. I love this line: Beck: Yeah, so, after that little brief experience at Bendix, we sort of steered clear of transistors for a while to make sure it was not all phony hype.
  9. S

Yeah, that's a touchy subject! I think by "personal" computer, they meant that it only required one person to operate.
  10. S

A sub-thread of Bendix G-15 Restoration The chief designer of the Bendix G-15 was computer pioneer Harry Huskey who based it on the Automatic Computing Engine (ACE) designed by Alan Turing at the National Physical Laboratories in Britain. Huskey had worked with Turing there for a year. Much of...
  11. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration: Garage Archaeology

Yes, we need to avoid spraying anything onto or into the equipment, but it needs to be cleaned and disinfected - that's what makes it complicated. I'm thinking of removing any panels that can be easily removed and cleaning them separately. How do other museums disinfect and clean these sorts of...
  12. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration: Garage Archaeology

A sub-thread of Bendix G-15 Restoration I finally got a good look at the Bendix today. It's been in my friend's garage for many years and has a fair bit of dust on it, but it's in great condition overall. I live in the mountains at the end of a very bumpy dirt road, so we're going to transport...
  13. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration: Hexadecimal, Sexadecimal, Shmexadecimal

I can't wait until we get to bit-wise division on the Bendix...
  14. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration: Hexadecimal, Sexadecimal, Shmexadecimal

A sub-thread of Bendix G-15 Restoration One of the first things you discover when you start exploring the G-15 is that numbers are represented in base 16, but the hexadecimal (Greek root) A-F "digits" are not used for values 10-15. Instead, they use sexadecimal (Latin root) "digits", where the...
  15. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration

Thanks for the heads up! I've only picked up the typewriter console so far. I'll pick up the rest of the components in November and will keep that drive warning in mind.
  16. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration: Typewriter Console

Thanks! That website looks like it has lots of information that might help. I'll add it to my list of sources and read it in depth.
  17. S

I'm committed to doing it properly, but there is very little information available on cleaning or restoring really old machines destined for a museum. CHM has some blog posts that are useful. The Computer Conservation Society has some articles. I suspect there might be more details in the blogs...
  18. S

I haven't touched it yet, but I'll get cloth gloves first. It is for a real museum, so I agree with you on doing nothing other than mild cleaning. If the restoration ultimately extends to functionality, it seems like the power cord, platen, and any weird caps I find might need to be replaced...
  19. S

Bendix G-15 Restoration

I forgot to mention that The Bendix Corporation sold its computer division to Data General in 1963, so some of the last few G-15s produced (including this one, #350) were badged as Control Data, but nothing is different underneath the hood.
Back