• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Bendix G-15 Restoration: Typewriter Console

stephenbuck

Experienced Member
A sub-thread of Bendix G-15 Restoration

I'm starting with the what I'm calling the typewriter console, also known as the "Master Writer", since it's easily transported, fairly light and relatively robust compared to the fragile vacuum-tube CPU and magnetic tape mechanisms. I live in the mountains at the end of a long, bumpy dirt road and the thought of all those tubes and mechanisms bouncing around in a truck led me to find some spare office space down on the flatlands for most of the restoration, but I can work on the console at home.

The console is an interesting part of the system in that it's based on an early IBM electric typewriter. Electric typewriters were often modified for use as input / output devices for early mainframes and minicomputers. The most commonly modified typewriters were made by IBM. In the 1950s, modified standard versions of the IBM Electric A, B, and C models were used as console typewriters or terminals on many early computers (e.g., GE 225, JOHNNIAC, IBM 650, IBM 1620, PDP-1). The IBM Selectric typewriter, introduced in 1961, was easier to interface to a computer and was favored in new designs, such as the IBM 1130 computer and the IBM 1050 terminal.

Here's the blog page where I'm summarize the conversations: Bendix G-15: Typewriter Console

Attachments

• 8052019873_1f6592dff1_o.jpg
    8052019873_1f6592dff1_o.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 7
  • G15_brochure4.jpg
    G15_brochure4.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
What would be the recommended way of cleaning the outside of the console?

I think for the painted bits I'll start with a gentle brushing followed by compressed air, but not sure how to proceed after that - do no harm and all. Possibly distilled water (our well water has lots of scale) and some gentle dish soap (Dawn)?

For the keycaps, I'm thinking of the same thing - might consult a vintage typewriter group.

I did notice the one of the switch paddles on the lower adapter is missing - should be able to fabricate a replacement for that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have!

Last edited:
Is that the original typewriter? Just curious about the "CONTROL DATA" label.
At any rate, you might start with the typewriters forum at groups.io. Lots of old geezers who might actually remember servicing one of these.

Is that the original typewriter? Just curious about the "CONTROL DATA" label.
At any rate, you might start with the typewriters forum at groups.io. Lots of old geezers who might actually remember servicing one of these.
Glad you asked! Yes, that is the original typewriter that came with the system. The Bendix Corporation sold its computer division to Data General in 1963, so some of the last few G-15s produced (including this one, #350) were badged as Control Data, but nothing is different underneath the hood.

G15_Control_Data_Minneapolis_paper_1963.jpg
Thanks for the typewriters link!

Any suggestions for painted metal surfaces, that you can't afford to screw up, from the 1950s?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Depends on what you want to do with them. A thin water-based acrylic is non-permanent and can be easily removed.
Generally, parts of this vintage were painted and baked, much like car finishes.

Any suggestions for painted metal surfaces, that you can't afford to screw up, from the 1950s?

yes, if it is a REAL museum artifact, you do NOTHING to them, other than a mild cleaning with distilled water.

you are always touching it with cloth gloves on, right?
hand oils etch into steel

I haven't touched it yet, but I'll get cloth gloves first. It is for a real museum, so I agree with you on doing nothing other than mild cleaning. If the restoration ultimately extends to functionality, it seems like the power cord, platen, and any weird caps I find might need to be replaced. Thoughts?

I do know that one of the tape drives (which I have not received yet) has a small amount of corrosion and rust around the base, any suggestions for that?

Thanks so much!

I'm committed to doing it properly, but there is very little information available on cleaning or restoring really old machines destined for a museum. CHM has some blog posts that are useful. The Computer Conservation Society has some articles. I suspect there might be more details in the blogs of specific restorations. I'll stick to cloth gloves, gentle brushing, compressed air, and distilled water for now, but I'd love to find some museum references that might help me learn a bit more.

Carl Claunch has one of the more in-depth documentations of a serious restoration effort I've seen. You can read it at http://rescue1130.blogspot.com/ and it looks like he's still active, so he may be able to field additional questions as well.
Thanks! That website looks like it has lots of information that might help. I'll add it to my list of sources and read it in depth.

Quite a rat's nest!

We've been spoiled by fixed-carriage typewriters, like the Selectric. On the 1620, a long carriage return made you wonder if the thing was going to stay attached.

Back