• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

IBM 5150 motherboard repair

Hi all I was getting one of my spare 5150's ready to move onto a new home when it failed It was in the middle of booting, when it died to a black screen. Next power up, it sat on the blinking cursor for 5-10 minutes before I got bored and killed the power. Every subsequent power up, it shows no...
  2. S

PS/2 Model 80, Diagnosing and repairing a dead planar

Hi all Recently received an IBM PS/2 Model 80 that I'd quite like to revive. Sadly it is showing no sign of life at all. The PSU is good, as it boots my model 60 no problem and shows good voltages. I have swapped out the CPU, tried both memory "cards" one at a time and verified that the code on...
  3. S

IBM 5150 single sided floppy drive date

Hi all Fairly simple question I hope! Does anyone know when the 5150 went from using single sided drives to double sided drives? I have a fairly early 5150, two screw cover, black PSU and 16-64k motherboard. It came to me with a pair of half height 360k drives and a MFM hard drive in it, which I...
  4. S

ISA ESDI controller

Hi I'm wondering if anyone has an ISA bus ESDI disk controller card going spare. I acquired a full height ESDI drive that I'd like to put in my 286 "beast" But sadly I have no card to facilitate this. Ideally tested and working, but will consider anything. UK preferred, to reduce shipping cost...
  5. S

Tatung CM-1495 monitor repair (Badged Gateway 2000)

Hi all I have here a Tatung CM 1495, badged as a Gateway 2000. It takes TTL or analogue inputs so would be nice to get working. This is, internally, almost identical to a TVM "Multi-Function/2 Colour monitor", to the point that the PSU, board with the flyback on and the neck board are identical...
  6. S

IBM 5151 monitor repair

Hi all, Hope this is ok here. I've got an IBM 5151 monitor that is exhibiting some strange behaviour. It partially works and shows what it should for 1/2-1 second at a time, then the picture goes crazy, before settling down again. I'm genuinely unable to describe it properly, so have taken a...
  7. S

Western Digital MFM controller repair (IBM 5150)

Hi all Now I have my new 5150 functioning as it should and getting towards where I want it, having built an XT CF and Adlib clone in the last couple weeks, I want to turn my attention towards the MFM HDD and controller it came with. The hard drive is a "Microscience" HH612 10mb drive and the...
  8. S

New member from Somerset, UK

Hi all Been browsing topics on the forum for a while and decided it really was time to sign up. Based in Somerset UK and main interests are PC and compatibles, 1981 to 2000 (Plus the obligatory Commodore 64). Started back tinkering with them 18 months ago with stuff from around the P3 era, as...
Back