• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. G

Universal BIOS on 386 system not booting to CF card or HDD

I installed the jumper on the CF adapter and now it solved both problems - it now goes directly into the XUB without the need to enter the stock BIOS first and also it recognizes the CF adapter as Master. I feel humbled haha. It was an obvious thing to try and sorry I did not try before posting...
  2. G

Universal BIOS on 386 system not booting to CF card or HDD

Hi all. I recently got the Universal BIOS kind of working on my 3com NIC. I downloaded the 8kb 386 prebuilt binary, concatenated it four times to fill up the 32kb EEPROM, loaded it into the XTIDECFG utility, hit autoconfig, then saved it. The system still tries to boot from it's own BIOS...
  3. G

Enabling UDMA on system that supports it but no option in BIOS

You're right, that's where the option SHOULD be. I go in there and it says it's only operating in DMA Mode. I have confirmed using another system with a VT8327R chipset (which DOES support UDMA) that I can go in to that area in the device manager and it says my storage device is operating in...
  4. G

Enabling UDMA on system that supports it but no option in BIOS

The southbridge in this machine is a VT8231. According to the datasheet there are registers there that can be flipped on to enable UDMA. My storage solution supports UDMA. I have verified this using another machine. Thanks to some VERY nice Discord users, I now have a modded BIOS for my...
  5. G

Samsung DeskMaster 386S/16 Motherboard Help Needed

In a recent haul I picked up several of these Samsung DeskMaster 386S/16 machines. They were sold as is. In the five machines I have, there appear to be a few revisions of the motherboard. This one below had a varta battery for the CMOS which wasn't exploded yet so I went and snipped it from the...
  6. G

Tandy 1000 RL and a XT-CF lite rev.2

Well just in case anyone on the internet finds themselves in this exact predicament, here's what I did to resolve my problem: 1. disabled the onboard floppy disk controller in my Win9x machine. 2. rebooted in DOS mode. 3. flash offr566.bin D800 Then it flashed the BIOS successfully. However...
  7. G

Tandy 1000 RL and a XT-CF lite rev.2

So I bought the XT-CF lite v2 from Tex Elec. According to the FAQ https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/XT-CF-lite_FAQ you have to flash the BIOS of the card when using a Tandy 1000 RL. I am unable to do this in my RL because the floppy is busted so I put the card in another old machine. The computer...
  8. G

Tandy 1000 RL floppy drive replacement

I'm considering this but as a last resort because I will most likely have to cut up the bezel in order to fit any old floppy drive in there.
  9. G

Thank you to everyone so far with your advice this is exactly the kind of info that I was looking for. So if I connected a newer floppy drive without drive select jumpers, would I only be slightly inconvenienced because I have to type b: instead of a: at a DOS prompt? Or are there other issues...
  10. G

Hey everyone, I just bought my childhood computer - a Tandy 1000 RL but the floppy drive is dead. I have cleaned the heads and lubed the rods but it's still dead. I was reading on the oldskool.org website that only these low density floppy drives will work in my RL: Sony MFD-63W-70D Sony...
Back