• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. maelstrm

5160 BIOS swap question

Hello Federation, Please excuse this noob question. I'm trying to review a 5160 64-256KB board. Can I use the BIOS chips from a 5160 256-640KB board on a 5160 64-256KB board? The chip numbers are different between the two. I also see the two sets of BIOS chips have different capacities (32k...
  2. maelstrm

Sun (Suntac?) 286E motherboard manual

FWIW, I found this old copy of a copy of a fax in an old desktop, which contains a Sun (no, not that Sun) 286E motherboard. So I scanned it and thought I'd archive it here. The motherboard that was found still works.
  3. maelstrm

Packet Driver for Xircom RE-100

Has anyone had any luck with a packet driver for the Xircom RE-100 PCMCIA card? I've been trying to get it to work under DOS with MTCP. But each time, DHCP times out and says to check the cabling and packet driver settings. I have Card Services running (C:\CARDSOFT), and it is detected by Card...
  4. maelstrm

Just saying hi. And thanks.

My dumpster-dive 5160, with a few upgrades:
  5. maelstrm

IBM 1501989 XM switches

Good evening, Federation! On the 1501989 XM memory expansion card, what are switches 1-4 used for? I have a fully-populated expansion card (1501989XM) going into an IBM 5150 motherboard (also with full rows of memory). Thanks!
  6. maelstrm

Tatung CM-1360

Greetings, Federation! Does anyone have any manuals or (dare I say) schematics for a Tatung CM-1360? I recently came across one and can't get it to display an image. I've tried an MDA and a CGA card. On MDA I get a raster but no images. In CGA, it's out of sync (rapid lines moving from bottom...
  7. maelstrm

IBM CGA card issue

Hello, Federation! I recently purchased an original IBM CGA card. And, well, it has issues. The display is "distorted". In that, when the machine boots, what should be white text on black has lines of blue mixed in (where only white pixels should be). What's weird is that, if I take a photo...
  8. maelstrm

Toshiba Tecra 550CDT

Good evening Federation, Is there a disassembly guide to the Toshiba Tecra 550CDT? I've made a little progress but still feel like this thing is going to break if I keep going. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  9. maelstrm

SIS 486-471 Rev G and COM ports

Hello Federation! I'm the proud new owner of a SIS 486-471 Rev G motherboard. I'm trying to get a serial mouse to work in Windows 3.1. But here's the problem. I see no RS232/9-pin headers (or anything that could even be a candidate for a header) on the board. The BIOS has a place to set the...
  10. maelstrm

Help identifying a board

This board was in a 5150 case. Any ideas what it is? All I know is that it's a 286 board. No idea what brand. It will POST but I can't get past an error about "Floppy A not found", even with a floppy controller + drive connected. I think it might be expecting an XT keyboard instead of AT. I have...
  11. maelstrm

Creating your own QBASIC programs and using them within a BBS

Hello Federation, I'm learning about BBSes (and I even have one online). I want to know if it's possible to create QBASIC applications and have them run interactively as part of my BBS system. I have: Waffle BBS A Lantronix UDS10 A working BBS accessible via telnet I've already worked out...
  12. maelstrm

Full height HDD (IMI 5012H) with a LoTech XT-CF (v2)

Hello Federation, I'm attempting to save some files from a FH 10MB drive that shipped with this 5160. I have a working setup with an XT-CF card, in that I can boot to MS DOS from the CF card (MS-DOS 6.22) when there is no other hard drive controller present. However, when I put the original...
  13. maelstrm

MDA / CGA / EGA

Hello Federation, I have a few questions regarding MDA / CGA / EGA cards and monitors. I'm soon going to receive an IBM 5153 monitor and want to make sure I connect it safely. I have (what I think is) an EGA card. Just want to make sure of a few things: Is it safe to connect the 5153 (a CGA...
  14. maelstrm

Compaq Presario 1255 laptop charger polarity?

Forgive me for posting here, I think this machine is a P-II. But could anyone confirm the polarity on a Presario 1255 power adapter? There's no indication on the label for polarity despite it having voltage and amperage. I bought an aftermarket but the tip doesn't even fit, leaving me in doubt...
  15. maelstrm

The South WTB Green phosphorus monitor with RCA in

Hey all, Title says it all. Not picky on brand. Just looking for one that works. Something about those old green screens just appeals to me lately. I'm in the southeast US. Thanks!
  16. maelstrm

BBS + Lantronix UDS10

Hello Federation! I've been working on setting up a DOS-based BBS. I have a Lantronix UDS-10 configured. It's on my LAN via Ethernet, and connected to my Pentium 1 box running MS-DOS 6.22. The BBS software in use is Waffle BBS. So far I'm able to telnet into the Lantronix UDS-10 and enter...
  17. maelstrm

The South IBM 5144 monitor?

Anyone have an IBM 5144 monitor that they'd be willing to part with?
  18. maelstrm

Apple RBG M1296 to VGA?

I have acquired an old Apple RGB M1296 monitor. I have tons of PC equipment but no Apple equipment. Any way to test by converting a VGA signal to an RGB signal? Not sure if it's as simple as building an adapter or if this would require a full circuit to convert the signal. Thanks!
  19. maelstrm

Booting from an XT-CF adapter.

Hello Federation! Having some trouble booting MS-DOS 6.22 on my 5160 using an XT-CF adapter from TexElec. The 8088 CPU has been replaced with a VIC20. The motherboard is a 64K-256K (earlier model). XT-IDE card is not in slot 8. The system has 128K of RAM installed. At this point I'm suspecting...
  20. maelstrm

Gateway Colorbook 2000

Anyone have a manual for a Gateway Colorbook 2000? Just looking for beep codes. I'm getting two beeps on boot, no video. The floppy does seek.
Back