• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. 3lectr1c

Brother Super Power Note PN-8500MDS

One of the later models in this series ran GEOS, and could be made to run DOS software (although with keyboard mapping problems).
  2. 3lectr1c

What is happening here with this screen, lots of echoing, slow response

Yes, this is normal behavior on STN/DSTN/FSTN/HPA displays (all together known as "passive matrix"). They were cheaper than TFT/Active Matrix displays were at the time, so they ended up in low-end laptops. Fine for text editing, internet browsing, productivity, but not for gaming/video/anything...
  3. 3lectr1c

Disassembling a Sony Vaio PCG-505 battery?

Definitely ultrasonically welded. I'd start from whatever side isn't visible on the outside of the laptop, and then hope the side that it cracks open cleanly once you get the other side free.
  4. 3lectr1c

Compaq Armada 3500 wont start.

take them out of circuit and then check - if they're still shorted, replace them.
  5. 3lectr1c

Reorganization of 'Genres' Category

I can agree with this, but there are two issues I can think of. First, it’s currently unclear what other exactly is for - I think it could use a better descriptor if that’s one of the things it is for. It will also likely discourage such discussion as P4 being omitted from the main PC area will...
  6. 3lectr1c

I should build a nice one now while prices are super cheap. I do have an Athlon 64 X2 system already though, it might be redundant.
  7. 3lectr1c

One way I could see a new section making sense is if you included some additional CPUs directly in the title - Pentium D, Pentium M, maybe even Core Duo (although that's pushing it a bit). Pentium 4 hardware is so darn common right now because it's in the "worthless junk" phase - they sold a...
  8. 3lectr1c

Pentium 4 on its own (or P4 and period AMD hardware) wouldn't active enough on its own I feel. I feel like doing it based on activity (with a balance of sensibility w/ regard to performance) makes the most sense in this case. Performance isn't really that black and white either - it took the P4...
  9. 3lectr1c

That's how I view it too - everyone has their own personal definition of what matters to them. And thank you! I agree - but I will say I think it would probably be a better idea to extend the P2/P3 section rather than creating a new one.
  10. 3lectr1c

Again, why does it matter? What is the PROBLEM with including newer systems (eg Pentium 4)? How will that harm the forum? I agree.
  11. 3lectr1c

The post you quoted as me was not me - it was @Torch
  12. 3lectr1c

You’re right, that Atom is 64-bit, my apologies. I’m aware, but it doesn’t change my point that it’s a faster chip. Which is faster doesn’t really matter to my opinion though - most people tend to lump things together into eras. The vast majority of people will compare the original Athlon 64...
  13. 3lectr1c

Even this much lower-end mobile Core Duo beats it (though not in single core)
  14. 3lectr1c

Core Duo handily beats the early Athlon 64s, and this 2012 Atom also beats it, though only barely (and it gets crushed in single core). Ignore the Athlon's release date, passmark has it wrong. It's from 2003.
  15. 3lectr1c

A year cutoff may be imperfect, but I feel like an architectural one is worse. A 32 bit chip from 2010 is gonna be more capable than the original Athlon 64. Same deal applies with the technically 16bit TI99 4A - the amount of bits being double doesn’t really make it better than the C64 or Apple...
  16. 3lectr1c

Forever is a little hasty I feel like, but you addressed that. I feel like doing it by architecture makes no sense - some Pentium 4s are 64-bit, the PPC G5 is, the Athlon 64 launched in 2003 right alongside 32bit P4s that would be allowed under that system, and Atom netbooks released in the...
  17. 3lectr1c

Having a mid-generation cutoff like that would be way too confusing. For instance, the last generation iMac G3 was sold through 2003, and the last iBook G3 through the same year. Would those be cut out then? Many people would become confused over what G4s they could and couldn’t discuss, whether...
  18. 3lectr1c

I completely agree, but some members here are strongly against anything above 2000 having a section here, as they don’t think said hardware is vintage yet. I don’t quite get it myself, as one could always just ignore a section they don’t care about, but regardless it’s made the forum operators...
  19. 3lectr1c

Perhaps update the Later Apple subcategory to include up to the G4? G4 computers first released in 1999 - around the same time the Pentium III did.
Back