• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

Testing RAM by piggybacking - How reliable?

This is great stuff @Hugo Holden, thanks for the reference. My Osborne has at least one unfortunate problem with regard to testing DRAM, which is that an aftermarket double-density drive control board is glued on top of the main PCB, and it covers 18 out of 32 4116 ICs. I was hoping that one of...
  2. S

Testing RAM by piggybacking - How reliable?

Following @tezza 's example, I'm going to try this on my Osborne, since the symptoms I'm noticing (garbage screen etc) seem similar. Looking around, I did notice that iz8dwf cautions against this because the chips can be easily damaged with bad contact. I don't have much to lose, since I'm at a...
  3. S

Hello from Greenbank, WA

Thanks! I actually grew-up near Utica @seaken, I can't remember whether I've been to Shokan, though.
  4. S

Hello from Greenbank, WA

I recently acquired an Osborne OCC1 for Christmas. After some preliminary work to restore it, I've learned that I may need to troubleshoot possible RAM faults, since powering on just shows a garbage screen etc. This is my first project like this and this forum appears to be a great resource, as...
  5. S

Osborne 1 - Now fixed!!

This is encouraging, since I'm about to embark on the same kind of diagnostics. I'm really hoping that I'm as lucky as you were, since I also have the aftermarket double-density disk controller board covering most of the 4116s. Mine appear to all be AM9016FPC, which are still available from...
Back