• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. E

Doom for Xenix 386

Hi all, I've ported Doom to Xenix 386, it's available on Github both as binary and source. The status bar is somewhat buggy and gets refreshed on-screen only after opening automap the first time, I tried to fix that but I'm actually not sure why it's not working to begin with. If someone wants...
  2. E

Apple AUI transceiver

I'm looking for a transceiver for my Quadra 650, plus shipping to Italy. I've seen that they go for ~40/50$ (with shipping) on ebay but I was hoping to find a cheaper one, a special price for a fellow Mac lover (I'm not so stingy, just... a student, and a very limited budget) :p
  3. E

UNIX for a 486?

At this point?
  4. E

Floppy emulator - this time for the IBM PC only

I asked for a floppy emulator a while ago, but most of them are really expensive. Now, this one is not the cheapest project ever, but looks interesting and maybe it's a good starting point to create something better, as it seems really simple. Here's the link
  5. E

Olivetti M24 and hard disks

Hi, I have an Olivetti M24 with the Olivetti Ope XM 5220/2 20 Mb hard disk and a WD 1002S controller (and the original 360K floppy drive, of course). The disk is working fine, it boots DOS 3.3, but I want to install another hard drive (I mean, not add it but swap it with the actual one) to test...
  6. E

3d blows my PC up

I was given an Athlon XP 2400+ computer, made by HP but basically it was only the motherboard, the cpu and a nvidia geforce2. I added an 80Gb hd and my Radeon 9800 (working last time I used it in a PC), installed windows xp pro and tested some games. The result is... I can't play 3D games...
  7. E

How to cheat on RAM requirements?

I'm having problems installing Illustrator CS4 on computer with only 384 mb RAM. The installer will quit telling something like "go buy more ram, you fool"... which actually I did on ebay, but I need to install CS4 before the ram arrives, if that's possible. Is there a way I can trick its...
  8. E

Broken pin on the serial port

Well, the 95LX finally arrived, but I had a bad surprise: one of the serial port pins is broken. What do you think? What's the best way (if there's one, seems hard to me but I don't have much experience) to fix it?
  9. E

Floppy disk emulator

Anyone know of a good and cheap (diy, maybe) HW floppy emulator? I mean something that you plug in the FD0 connector on the motherboard and it lets you use an SD, thumb drive or internal memory. I saw the DTX-200 from Data Storage which seems great, since it can emulate 3.5", 5.25" and 8"...
  10. E

Sharing internet connection

I was given a Texas Instrument TravelMate 6050, which is a 12" P1 150 mhz laptop. It belonged to a phone company technician, and it has ram expanded to 32 MB, a 33K pcmcia modem, the optional CD unit (you have to swap it with the floppy :)) and of course the AC adapter. I'm now wondering if I...
  11. E

Again on the 95LX serial port

I just won a HP 95LX on ebay, but it's without the serial cable (I lost last week another 95lx with cables and manual and it was cheaper too. But I forgot to bid in time :() I saw in the RS-232 page how to build a serial cable but I don't get if I should add a MAX-232 or if don't need it. The...
  12. E

Vintage browsers

I was installing windows nt on virtual pc and, suddendly I wanted to try and surf the net with internet explorer 2.0. :D So here it is. It's a bit impressive that i cannot access google but I can post this one. And it runs in Xp without problems too! I'll upload it somewhere if someone wants to...
  13. E

Compaq Contura 4/25 won't power on

A friend of mine gave me an old laptop, from what i can see it's a compaq contura 4/25, 486, 200 mb HD, bw screen, no trackball, no touchpad, no pointing device at all. Battery was dead, obviously, my multimeter indicated 0V. I changed the CMOS battery, attached a power supply, and a bright...
  14. E

Help with Xenix

Hi, I'm new here, so let me introduce myself a bit before getting to the hot stuff :) I'm an Italian HCI student, who started his love-story with computers on a pentium 200 mmx (hey, I'm young!) and Windows 95 OSR2 and the wonderful Fat32. Years later, I got involved in retrocomputing, and...
Back