• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. A

Information on an ATI EGA Wonder dongle thingy?

Heyo, Not sure what it's called, but the manual for the ATI EGA Wonder says that it's compatible with the Compaq Portable using an "optional expansion module". Does anyone have any information, pictures, schematics, etc about said module? Thanks!
  2. A

Help with Borland C++

Not sure if this goes here or in software but… Anyways, I wanted to find a version of Gnuplot that works with an 8088, and the oldest version hosted on the SourceForge doesn’t seem to (3.7.3). I email some people, they tell me that I should rebuild my own version given the tarballs they provide...
  3. A

Gif Viewer for 8088?

I’m attempting to pimp out my Compaq Portable with some applications and whatnot, wanted to know if there’s some sort of program to display image sequences in a loop. I’ve read of BLOAD being able to display binary images, but my coding knowledge is null. I’m also aware of the XDC codec, but it...
  4. A

Help with setting up a modem card

Heyo, I have a Practical Peripherals PM9600 (V.32/V.42bis) and I’m not entirely sure how to use it? I can’t find much about it on the internet and don’t know what settings to choose for it. I’ve seen many different modem init strings and the default settings of baud rate:9600, data bit:8, stop...
  5. A

Help with custom autoexec messages?

Hello, Not sure if this should go here, but I wanted to add a message to autoexec, and upon loading into Compaq Dos 3.31, it says “Syntax Error” on some of the echo lines, for instance the vertical bar ( | ). I’m not sure what to do, I’ve tried loading graftabl but that’s all I could think of...
  6. A

LCD mod for a Compaq Portable?

Not that I’m going to do this, but I’m curious about the possibilities of such a mod being made. how would it work?
  7. A

Looking for CompuShow 9.04b

Cshowplace.com has 9.04a, which is free to download and use, but requires a payment to receive the registered version, 9.04b. I’m not sure if the company is functional anymore, so I’ll ask you guys if there’s any information on how to get it nowadays. Thanks!
  8. A

XT-CF card giving errors

Not sure if this belongs here, but I’m trying to setup a XT-CF-lite rev. 2 for my Compaq Portable, and since I have no 360kb disks I’m doing it on my 486. Anyways, when it tries to boot from C: it says, “Non-system disk or disk error”. However, if I booted from A:, I can then access C: from...
  9. A

Compaq Portable Diskette Error?

Heyo, Booting my Compaq Portable gives me an error that states, “Diskette Error, replace and strike any key when ready”. I’ve tested both floppy drives in a 486 (with ImageDisk) and they both work fine. What’s odd to me is that the error still appears on the Compaq even after I’ve taken both...
  10. A

Help identifying/scanning a computer manual

I was given these two manuals to what I assume to be an IBM clone of sorts. I can’t find much about it but it says it’s a VIP PC-800. I don’t have the resources to make a scan of it, but if someone wants to, let me know. Thanks!
  11. A

Help identifying a sound card

Recently acquired a Compaq 4/66i running Windows 3.1 and it happens to have a card which I cannot identify. Looks to have a OPL2 chip, can I assume this is a clone of sorts? Manuals, drivers, or suggestions would be nice. Thanks!
  12. A

Choosing which XTIDE card to buy?

Heyo, I’m looking to replace the hard drive with a more modern Compact Flash option (maybe even sd?), but what should I be looking for? I see many options (like different versions of the XTIDE) and don’t know what I should get. Another thing, how would I add 640K ram to this computer? Is it as...
Back