• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

LCD mod for a Compaq Portable?

Anonymoose

Not that I’m going to do this, but I’m curious about the possibilities of such a mod being made. how would it work?

A couple of things to understand about the Compaq Portables video card. The default CGA card from Compaq was able to display CGA resolution in graphics modes, but higher res MDA style text modes. The built-in CRT was dual mode and able to switch between the two timings. If you were able to acquire the unicorn Compaq EGA card, it could also display to the built-in CRT - even in EGA resolutions.

If you decide to convert to an LCD screen, you will lose the ability to display the dual-modes from the CGA card, and have to limit yourself to the standard CGA resolutions. You will need an LCD panel capable of NTSC input, which will look pretty bad in 80 column mode, or get one of those NTSC -> VGA converters (usually a chain of them to fully convert digital RGB from the CGA card to VGA/HDMI ouput). Or, if you have the EGA, a slightly shorter chain of converters to get to VGA output.

Really, the Compaq Portable has one of the most under-appreciated video subsystems of any of the PC/XT clones and you probably wouldn't get the same quality from an LCD conversion.

I've considered using one of the CGA/MDA/EGA to HDMI adapters and a 9 inch 4:3 LCD panel so I'd have color EGA graphics in my Portable II. I have the EGA card and it does work very well with the stock monitor, and my stock monitor is in good condition, so this is a back burner project.

I do have a TexElec RGBtoHDMI already, so tracking down the 9 inch LCD monitor is the next step if I want to do this...

Nice find! I’m guessing the card is a bit overpriced for what it is.

With that being said, is there a modern day power alternative for an original Compaq Portable? I remember hearing about a Pico ATX adapter that could be used, but I can’t find it anymore.

Arent there still CRT's to source a replacement for on the compaq portable? Sure the Commodore SX 64 is a different case as its smaller and color but a monochrome CRT for the portable can still be found if you know where to look. And CRT is always a better choice with retro hardware. Thats my 2 cents.

Back