• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. H

Atari 1040ST needs video cable

This is my first Atari computer. :) I got a pretty good bargain on it. I don't know if it works yet. It has a "4 MB" sticker on it. It has an external 3.5" floppy drive in addition to the internal one. It also came with a trackball type mouse and a display. The only issue is that I don't have...
  2. H

Tandy PC-4: not as bad as you probably think it is.

At a Ham radio auction the other day, I got myself a Tandy PC-4 for a mere $2. It has 544 bytes available to the user for BASIC programs. That's BYTES. As in 4352 BITS. :shocked: Some might consider it to be more of a fancy calculator than a computer. I would disagree, but we all have...
  3. H

Curious about 5081 punch card

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, but I really didn't know for sure where to put this. A while back, I bought an old Heathkit radio direction finder at a garage sale. (MR-21A for the curious) The manual had a "bookmark" in it. It's a 5081 punch card. Anyway, I can't find any sites that...
  4. H

Apple //c floppy alternatives

I'm trying to look to the future with all my vintage Apple systems. It's looking good for my //e with possibilities of ethernet, floppy drive alternatives, and more. I plan to still be messing around with it in another 30 years! However, now that my //c seems to be fully operational (no idea...
  5. H

Transferring software between old/new computers

I was wondering what types of vintage computers have ways of getting software to and from modern computers. I have used adtpro for the early apples. I did some searching and found a device that allows similar things to be done with a trs-80. (Semi-virtual diskette) Saw it on Tezza's blog! :D...
  6. H

//e Monitor Screeching incessantly when on

I have been using an old tv for a display, but the low-res just won't cut it anymore. I have an "Apple Composite Monitor //e" that works pretty well. Unfortunately, it screeches quite loudly. (Constantly when turned on) I have heard of various solutions such as blowing the dust out of it with...
  7. H

Extended 80 columns not working

I just got a "new" extended 80 columns card for my //e enhanced. I installed it, taking careful note of the orientation. (it said "keyboard end" or something like that) I powered it up and booted prodos. It is still in 40 columns mode. Why?
  8. H

Apple //c displays garbage... (sometimes)

Since my //c is not currently assembled, it would almost be impractical to test it. (The case and floppy are temporarily hacked as the floppy for my //e system with a disk][ card) Therefore, I only know what I remember from before I took it apart. I will obviously put the whole thing together...
  9. H

New Macintosh SE, First Vintage Mac

I am now the proud owner of a Macintosh SE. :p (My first vintage mac ever) It came with a huge repertoire of software that I will not be able to catalog completely for quite awhile. (All on 3.5" floppies) Off the top of my head, it has Microsoft Works, Print Shop, and a few educational games...
  10. H

Flash memory for homebrew system?

I'm starting to design my homebrew z80 system, and I got an interesting suggestion. Instead of using sram for ram and eprom for my rom, it was suggested that I replace both with some sort of flash chip. I'm not sure about replacing my ram with a flash chip, but using flash as a rom seems very...
  11. H

Future Apple // web browser development?

I am hoping to get online with my //e and an uther card, as soon as I can afford one. I'm aware of the limitations of the contiki browser including the inability to compose emails. I was wondering if this is due to the way it interprets the input fields. I think I read somewhere that it only...
  12. H

Hello everybody

Hi, I'm a busy college student with an interest in computers that were "before my time". I have been programming and generally messing around with an Apple 2e for about 2 years now. My 2e's only floppy drive is from an apple //c that had bad Ram. (It's still in the //c case, but I have a...
Back