• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

1526 / MPS-802 printer repair

FishFinger

Experienced Member
Is anyone familiar with fixing these? I picked one up as part of an ebay lot recently, although it was listing as non-working and that indeed turned out to be the case.

It turns on and powers up, but just starts flashing the red paper out light and doesn't respond to button presses or commands from the C64. The carriage never moves, and the paper advance button does nothing. I found a service manual but it doesn't really have much except for a few circuit diagrams and some mechanical drawings. I've checked the paper and home switches, voltages (+5V and +26V) and they're fine, and I've been round the board with an oscilloscope checking the basics like clock, reset, address/data lines, etc.

Dumb question, but aside from testing the switches and verifying the signal was reaching the switches, you did load a sheet of paper into it to satisfy any paper-out errors?

I've tried it with and without paper, but get the same result.

Apparently the carriage is supposed to moved to the far right and back to the left as part of the initialisation process, but it seems completely dead.

Back