• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

1541 IEEE-488 Conversion

hexsane

Experienced Member
How I spent my weekend:

pet1541.jpg

Details: http://vintagemashups.net/2010/12/commodore-1541-ieee-488-conversion/

Anyone think I need to get a life? :)

This could be layed out on a PCB if a source for the required parts can be found. I think I found a good source for the 75160 & 75161 chips but still looking for an inexpensive source for the 24 pin connector.

Any interest?

-Matt

Last edited:
Looks good! Nice that the adapter board fits inside the 1541 case.

I had no trouble finding the 24-pin connectors when I built my own IEEE-488 cable, but they were quite expensive: about 5 or 6 Euros a pop IIRC.

IEEE-488 drives made for use with the PET are getting harder to come by.
Is this the moment I should mentioned I helped loading 30+ IEEE drives for free onto a van last weekend? :) But I know what you mean. Those drives also take up a lot of space.

Personally I have made a cassette port adapter that lets the CBM-II series computers (the follow-up to the PET line) connect a 1541 or likewise. It requires custom software though, something me and Steve Gray are trying to fit onto a CBM-II cartridge. Theoretically this hack should be doable on a PET as well, just convert the driver software and install into an option ROM slot.

If it was a better quality picture you would notice those keys are significantly yellowed compared to the originals. :p

-Matt
Sheesh! Can't please some people ;-)

Looks better than before though; time to try the Retro-brite peroxide/oxy treatment.

Hmmmmm. . .the more I see of these IEEE drives, the more I want to try and connect one to the IEEE card on my TI-99/4A just to see if it will work. How close is the Commodore format to the actual standard?

From recent experience no 2 manufacturers seem to do storage devices the same. The Commodore protocol is fairly simple though. Do you have any port information (BASIC extension?) for the IEEE card?

-Matt

Nice Matt,

I'd be interested. If you are going to sell these, you should make it available with the 24 pin adapter. I'd buy :)

Vince

No, just the 24-28 pin adapters.

Well, I am working on adding IEEE-488 support to uIEC, but it's not done yet.

Jim

OK, I have put the 2364 PCBs in the shop at jbrain.net. If there's sufficient interest, I'll consider offering them assembled.

Jim

...quite interesting project, since I have some 1541 here, I will try it; I've already ordered the needed parts (ICs).

However I've a little doubt: I didn't find any mention about what jumper for what unit: no jumper=8, j1=9, j2=10, j1+12=11? boooooh....
And should the jumper be set conforming the 1541 unit number? Or with these jumpers only I can address it to the choosed unit number, disregarding the original 1541 setting ?

J1-2 2 Pin jumper device number jumper

Device number D2 J1
PB0A: IC1 Pin 10 ------|>|-----O------ IC1 Pin 39
IC1 Pin 11 ------|>|-----O---| (see also NRFD!)
D3 J2

Does anybody can confirm this project will work fine at least for the basic part? formatting, load, write? basic 4 commands too? Any info/suggestion?

--Giovi

Attachments

• vc1541-ieee.jpg
    vc1541-ieee.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1
However I've a little doubt: I didn't find any mention about what jumper for what unit: no jumper=8, j1=9, j2=10, j1+12=11? boooooh....
And should the jumper be set conforming the 1541 unit number? Or with these jumpers only I can address it to the choosed unit number, disregarding the original 1541 setting ?

Here is some info from a 1541 manual:

9. CHANGING THE DISK DRIVE DEVICE NUMBER Software Method
The device number is selected by the drive by looking at a hardware
jumper on the board and writing the number based on that jumper in a section
of its RAM. Once operation is underway, it is easy to write over the previous device number with a new one.

FORMAT FOR CHANGING DEVICE NUMBER:

PRlNT# file#, "M-W:" CHR$(119) CHR$(O)CHR$(2) CHR$(address+32) CHR$(address+64)
EXAMPLE OF CHANGING DEVICE NUMBER:
PRINT# 15, "M-W:" CHR$(l19) CHR$(O)CHR$(2) CHR$(9+32) CHR$(9+64) PRlNT# Q, "M-W:" CHR$(119) CHR$(O)CHR$(2) CHR$(R+32) CHR$(R+64)
If you have more than one drive, it's sensible to change the address through hardware (see below). If you must, the procedure is easy. Just plug in the drives one at a time, and change their numbers to the desired new values. That way you won't have any conflicts.
Hardware Method
It's an easy job to permanently change the device number of your drive for use in multiple drive systems. The tools needed is a phillips-head screwdriver and a knife.

STEPS TO CHANGING DEVICE NUMBER ON HARDWARE:
1. Disconnect all cables from drive, including power.
2. Turn drive upside down on a flat, steady surface.
3. Remove 4 screws holding drive box together.
4. Carefully tum drive right side up, and remove case top.
S. Remove 2 screws on side of metal housing.
6. Remove housing.
7. Locate device number jumpers. If facing the front of the drive, it's on the left edge in the middle of the board.
8. Cut either or both of jumpers 1 and 2.
9. Replace housing and 2 screws, and case top and 4 screws.
10. Re-connect cables and power up.

The jumper number is added to the old device number ( 8 )when cut. In other words, jumper 1 adds 1, and jumper 2 adds 2, to the device number. If none are cut, the number is 8, if 1 is cut it goes up to 9, and if only 2 is cut the number is 10. If both I and 2 are cut, the number is 11.

Hi Dave,

sorry, I didn't explain well my doubt.

In the schematics I attached to my previous post (the homebrew board you need to put in the 6522 socket in order to make the 1541 ieee compatible - i got this schematics from the project file on Zimmers) there are two jumpers from the two diodes to the 6522 @ pin 39. These jumpers are described as device number setting. Is this an override to the original hardware setting, or you should to set up these jumpers in the same way of the original 1541 ones?

And does anybody other than Matt "hexane" made this adaptor, and can give me more info about it?

-- Giovi

Back