• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

1701 Monitor not working

SGTSQUID

Experienced Member
A secure undisclosed location in the Mojave Desert
I have a model 1701 monitor that I got from work that is not showing a video signal. They were using it as a TV display adn said it just quit working. WHen I turn it on the screen seems to work, but it just shows a blank white screen. I've already tried the H and V hold settings. Does anyone know if there is a common cause for this? I thought I would ask before tearing it apart and checking components.

I took the monitor apart and it looks like some kind of fluid leaked on the board, possibly from above. It doesn't look like anything was spilled on it, but it looks like something might have leaked out of the flyback transformer. Is there fluid in the flyback transformer that could have leaked out? I've had good luck with monitors so I don't have any experience reapairing them.

IMG_7280.jpgIMG_7281.jpg

Last edited:
Did you ever get your monitor fixed? I think you're right, there does seem to be some kind of oil in some flybacks. But if you had a white screen, that means you have a raster, and that couldn't be the issue, or at least not the main issue. The FB could be failing but I don't think it's failed yet.

I had to set it aside, but yes it does have a good raster. I think a capacitor (or more) leaked out on the board. I might just replace all of them to be sure. It's probably the same thing that just happened to my IBM 5154 last night as I was about to play Wasteland.

I think flyback transformers usually are filled with wax rather than oil. Also, when they go out, you don't get a normal raster at all. Several years back, I was using my Commodore 1084 monitor when the image on the screen wobbled, went back to normal, then shrank down to a tiny rectangle in the center of the screen, accompanied by a nasty smell from inside the monitor. Pretty sure it's the flyback transformer which went out, though I have yet to open the unit up to confirm this for sure.
-Adam

Last edited:
Replacing obvious capacitors probably won't fix the inital problem of no video.

Does the intensity of the white screen change if you adjust the contrast/brightness knobs?

Back