• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

26 Pin Floppy Drives

normanator

Experienced Member
Picked up a couple of 3.5" FDD drives, and didn't notice until later they have 26 pins instead of the usual 34. Read some posts here in the forum about adapting a 26 pin cable to a standard 34 pin drive, and even see some ready made adapters online.

Has anyone ever tried the opposite?

Also, what native systems were these created for? I'm seeing older Toshiba/Sony laptops. Anything else?

Considering the number of 26-to-34 adapter postings, are these drives unicorns?

I also believe that the 1/6th height drives e.g. Teac FD05 all use a 26 pin connection and used in laptops and notebooks all over the place. Also part of the Teac FD-505 "Combo" drive, which is pretty much a combination of an FD-05 and an FD-105.

I also looked into 26 pin drives recently, as I thought it would be neat to use two of them in the space that a standard 1/2 height 5.25 inch drive uses. The adapters all seem to go the wrong way .. I want to use the 26 pin drive on a 34 pin system.

My Tektronix TDS360 scope has a 26-pin slim 3.5" drive; I have an HxC Slim to put in it, just haven't done so yet.

I have a couple of combo 5.25/3.5" drives where the 3.5 has a 26-pin flat cable connection to the interface board on the 5.25 drive. I think one was in a Compaq DeskPro 386. Not original equipment, more than likely.

My Amstrad 5286HD has a 26-pin 3.5" floppy drive; it's a slim Citizen U1DA-38A. It's a desktop, not a laptop, but definitely much smaller than most desktops of the era.

Back