• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

3.5" floppy drive voltages

Svenska

Veteran Member
Hi,

do 3.5" floppy drives require 12V power?

I started to build a Z80 based system a few years back, but never finished any disk interface. CP/M runs off a ROM disk for now, which isn't that useful. But since I got an old XT FDC card recently, I wanted to add a 3.5" drive (DD only). Since everything runs off a 5V adapter, I won't be able to supply 12V - will that be a problem? A Gotek would work fine, but would a real drive as well?

Also, since I am already planning to add two ISA slots to the system... where can I source those slots, or edge connectors in general? Is there a search term which would allow me to find them on Aliexpress or other sites?

Thanks,
Svenska

Depends on the vintage. I have some NEC HH units that require 12v; some older Sony drives do as well. Haven't checked, but I suspect my 3.25" drives do as well--they're old enough.

Card edge connectors are still carried by most of the mainline parts vendors (Mouser, RS, etc.)

N.B. Edge connectors are subject to a rather strange terminology. A "10-position" edge connector has 20 contacts. Also, pay attention to the contact spacing; usually specified in fractions of an inch.

Last edited:
Also, pay attention to the contact spacing; usually specified in fractions of an inch.
That is why I am asking, my last order turned out to be completely wrong. :)

If you're talking about 1.44M 3.5" drives, none that I'm aware of; not even the earliest.
I only have 3.5" HD drives, which are rather new (but will need to be run in DD mode). So my 5V supply should suffice.

Thanks for the answers!

Back