• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

486-33 Laptop / Windows 95

dongfeng

Veteran Member
Hi,,

I've managed to fix my old 486-33 laptop! It was bought in mid-1995, and given to me when it was replaced in 1998. I used it for about 6 months, and then smoke appeared out of the keyboard with a nasty burning smell and it turned off. I thought it was broken, so it got put away. I tried to fix it in 2001, but it still smoked a lot...

Anyway, I dug it out yesterday, and when I picked it up, the battery pack fell on the floor and smashed open. It was all melted and burnt inside! I plugged the power in, and the computer turned on but crashed on the Windows 95 bootup screen. I have FDISK'd and formatted the drive and installed MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 from the original installation disks and it's working fine! The only problem I am having is installing the soundcard drivers - it just doesn't seem to recognise it.

This computer is in perfect condition, I have the original box and packaging, manuals, product key certificate, all original disks (3.11 and DOS 6.22) complete with their plastic sleeves. I even have the original invoice for it somewhere, for £2,000 in 1995! yikes :shock: It was originally 4mb of ram, but now has 8mb.

The HDD is around 500MB, and the brand of the laptop is "System Knock Down".

I have a question though. When the laptop was new, it came with DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 disks from the factory, although the original owner had Windows 95 installed for it before he bought it. However, the 95 disks (if it ever had any) are missing. I would like to put 95 back on it and somehow get it on the Internet, so I was wondering if anyone knew where I could download (or email!) the Windows 95 disks. I know there used to be a website where you could download them a couple of years ago. Did anyone download the upgrade that used to be on www.windos2000.net ?

i have 95 0n floppy that i got off ebay cost me £20 buy it now including post and packing.

i know that seems expensive but its usefull to me to test my old 386 486 computers etc.

if you email me i might be able to help you out...

Are you sure it even has a soundcard? Most laptops of that vingtage didn't come with one built-in. (I used to use a PCMCIA-based soundcard (made by IBM) with mine).

--T

PS1 said:
i have 95 0n floppy that i got off ebay cost me £20 buy it now including post and packing.

i know that seems expensive but its usefull to me to test my old 386 486 computers etc.

95 on disk came two different ways. If you have the 1.44Mb disks then copying them is easy, but if you have the 1.6Mb version, then you need a special disk-copying program to copy them with. (These type of programs are downloadable off the net). YMMV.

--T

I have a 486 laptop Viglen i think that has no sound and monochrome display....
They seemed really well made back then almost indistructable.

hi,

thanks for the replies! I *think* I may have sorted out the Windows 95 problem, but I'll let you all know soon :)

The laptop definately has a soundcard, a Soundblaster Pro 16 (apparently). It has the headphone socket on the side and everything is detailed in the manual. (it's a colour laptop BTW).

The strange thing is, when I install the drivers disk, it doesn't detect the "location" - it says they're all wrong (the 220, 240, etc). Maybe it's broken, I can't remember if it worked or not before!!!

Here's the computer itself (before I got it working):

48633.JPG

and I have 2 Citizen 120D printer's for it too! (one old model, one new model)

PS1 said:

I've just bought a brand new, never opened Windows 95 set for £16... I've been looking on eBay, and secondhand used ones go for around £25! 8)

23 disk though :shock:

Thats great yes 23 disks seems a lot doesnt it?

one thing i forgot to mention they had 2 versions of 95 on floppy one was

95b with usb support..........i always laughed at this it never bloody worked

95 never found usb even my 95 cd copy doesnt detect it.

But it has its uses and was worth every penny to me.

Hope it sorts your laptop out good luck !!!

Yeah, I've always wondered about the USB support - usually if the computer is new enough to have USB, it will be fast enough for Windows 98 :D

I have no idea which version these disks are, I'm hoping it's the earlier one (version A) :)

Re: 486-33 Laptop / Windows 95

dongfeng said:
Hi,,If you dont want it let me know at Administrator240@hotmail.com i will gladly take it.

I've managed to fix my old 486-33 laptop! It was bought in mid-1995, and given to me when it was replaced in 1998. I used it for about 6 months, and then smoke appeared out of the keyboard with a nasty burning smell and it turned off. I thought it was broken, so it got put away. I tried to fix it in 2001, but it still smoked a lot...

Anyway, I dug it out yesterday, and when I picked it up, the battery pack fell on the floor and smashed open. It was all melted and burnt inside! I plugged the power in, and the computer turned on but crashed on the Windows 95 bootup screen. I have FDISK'd and formatted the drive and installed MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 from the original installation disks and it's working fine! The only problem I am having is installing the soundcard drivers - it just doesn't seem to recognise it.

This computer is in perfect condition, I have the original box and packaging, manuals, product key certificate, all original disks (3.11 and DOS 6.22) complete with their plastic sleeves. I even have the original invoice for it somewhere, for £2,000 in 1995! yikes :shock: It was originally 4mb of ram, but now has 8mb.

The HDD is around 500MB, and the brand of the laptop is "System Knock Down".

I have a question though. When the laptop was new, it came with DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 disks from the factory, although the original owner had Windows 95 installed for it before he bought it. However, the 95 disks (if it ever had any) are missing. I would like to put 95 back on it and somehow get it on the Internet, so I was wondering if anyone knew where I could download (or email!) the Windows 95 disks. I know there used to be a website where you could download them a couple of years ago. Did anyone download the upgrade that used to be on www.windos2000.net ?

The first version of win95 was built on dos 6.22 and had only support
for FAT16 it came on 1.44mb floppies Im not sure if a cdrom version was out.
Anyway my copy is missing 2 disks and 1 other has bad sectors.

I do have a copy of Win95B on CD it is much better because it supports
USB with a patch and has FAT32 support. What i do is just get a bootdisk
and use it to setup the drive then use ether laplink or a terminal emulator
you'll need ether a laplink parallel cable or a null modem 3,6wire serial cable.
and move the files onto the disk. Downside of this is you have to have a
few 100's mb's because the setup files will take about 80-90mb themselves.
However if your drive is that small then there really is no sane reason to install
win95 anyway as DOS 6.22 is trim, I would'nt even bother with win3.1
Another option is to install a lightweight version of linux but X might be a problem.

Back