• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

486 motherboard with missing chips?

Half-Saint

Experienced Member
I recovered this motherboard from the dumpster. After messing about with jumpers I got it to POST but it doesn't do a RAM count and gets stuck in a reset loop. I'm also unable to enter BIOS.

Somebody pointed out that the keyboard controller is missing. Can somebody confirm that for a fact? There's certainly a 'placeholder' for it but there's no solder or flux residue on the bottom side of the board to indicate that the chip has been desoldered. RTC chip also appears to be missing...

UPDATE:
Same board, same revision, the same missing chips: http://tinyurl.com/oqej2o7

Last edited:
I think I have the twin (or at least a cousin) of this UMC board. No missing ICs, but these things have a very large set of jumpers for CPU type and speed. I use a Cyrix CX486DX2/80 in mine and it takes different jumper settings from a bog-standard Intel i486DX2.

I'm assuming that a CPU didn't come with yours.

The "missing" keyboard controller is probably part of the two chips there that make up the chipset for the board.

You did you get this to POST without a CPU in it? That picture does not show a CPU.

The picture doesn't show a CPU because I took the picture a day before I tested the board.

I got it to post with an Intel 486DX2. The only jumpers I set were JP4-6 and I set them all to Closed as per manual. Before I did this, JP4 was Open. Didn't bother with the rest of the jumpers.

I'll post a picture of the startup screen when I'm back in the office.

Board was sold by many companies, you seem to have the Biostar version but there were ones by MSI, Elpina / PCChips, ECS and a whole host of others. I use an unknown revision (JK-042A) in my U5S Super40 setup. Each company used the same board but changed some of the elctronics, mine has a KBC and Voltreg but others exist without them. The RTC chip is only used by boards that don't have the battery and more conventional CMOS installed. I think the KBC depends on the revision of the SuperIO/Chipset, as some may provide it internally.

This board freaks out if the cache is not setup properly and if the RAM is setup wrong in the BIOS, I guess you tried the reset CMOS switch?

Your board is in a restart loop? Mine doesn't restart, if you press the restart switch the screen goes black and nothing happens though this problem went away recently for no reason.

I'll let you in on a secret, I was trying to encroach on the Fastest 486 record with mine, had it stable at ~160-166MHz with ISA at ~20MHz, almost at 300 in Topbench. For a cheap nasty board, it runs well and overclocks to an insane level. As that Vogons bloke never backed up his statements with any benchmarking tool, I have currently claimed the record for myself. :p - oddly, mine comes from the trash too, never paid a penny for anything in the machine.

Oh, BTW, unless they fixed the markings on that version, the BUS speed is set wrong, on mine the table is JP4-JP5-JP6 but looking at the board in the same orientation the jumper block is reversed JP6-JP5-JP4. Also, best set the multiplier to 3X (Jumper open on mine - which disables the multiplier) and ignore the CPU-Type selection, set it to standard 486DX/SX for most circumstances, I had problems with ST chips when set to anything else (Even setting to M6/M7 upset it). What CPU are you using? I'd reccomend using one with a 33MHz BUS (If you're running a DX40, it'll be fine at 33MHz for now) as this is most stable and is easy to remember settings for too.

These might be the settings for the board; http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherb...IONAL-CORPORATION-486-MB-93.html#.UqNej6B5EvY

Google the model number, i,e; MB 1433 Stason... Seems a few used this model number.

I believe I got the jumper info from the page you linked to. I haven't changed any other jumper setting (except JP4,JP5,JP6) so what's in the picture is how it is.

I'll play with it on Monday and see what happens.

I have a very simular looking board here. It using the same chipset.. UM8498F..
My board also missing the keyboard bios.. What i can tell, this is normal!.. The bios it self has a keyboard auto detect system in the system bios chip..
I also tried it with a keyboard bios in it, but then it locks the whole keyboard out.. Mine board only have the IC socket soldered it..

The brand is guessing an ADI TK8498F/ GP 4N D24. OR also F4DXL-UC4D
http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486vlb3/tk8498.htm

Mine board is missing the voltage regulator (and i guess also an important resistor en or capacitor) The manual saying to use a 3 pins LT1085 VRM.. But dont mentioned about that resistor R55 or missing capacitor on P2.

Does anybody knows the old website URL they used in 1993?? Want to look if i can find a newer bios if its possible.

tk8498p.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think that's his board, it's from mbarron.net... If it is your board, what model is that UMC CPU?

If you don't have cache, you'll need to disable external cache in the BIOS. I am willing to try and dump my own BIOS (I believe it is from 1994) but it isn't guaranteed to work, so I'd reccomend getting a spare EEPROM and flashing that with it so you can put the original back in if it doesn't work. I wonder if you'd suddenly need that KB controller for that revision to work. I'd offer to flash one for you but I'm likely a long way away from you.

Extremely doubtful that there was one in 1993.

I see that you have no cache chips on your board. Could that be a problem?

That picture was more for illustration.. Mine board have cache chips on board.

Well here's what I tried:
1. setup jumpers for 486DX
2. setup jumpers for 66MHz
3. check, if cache is configured correctly
4. reset CMOS
5. tried different sticks of 30-pin and 72-pin RAM

The end result is always the same: stuck at showing 512K Trident, blank screen, 512K Trident, blank screen.. over and over..

More ideas?

Back