• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

4meg GS briel card on Ebay

Call-151

Experienced Member
no affliation, just came up in my searches, but I believe the maker of this card is selling it on ebay for $59.00, instead of $89.00. Do these actually output 4meg, and does anybody have them in their system and if so, how are they? There are 2 available as of apr. 25.

Good deal. IIRC that was the original price of the Briel cards, seller must have bought an early batch. They do in fact work as advertised, just plug it in and your IIgs will recognize the RAM. The question is, what do you need all that RAM for? From the 8 bit side, the only thing the extra RAM is good for is a RAM disk. On the 16 bit side, Wolf3d is the only game I know of that requires 4 megs of RAM, and it's only playable if you have an accelerator. If you're wanting to play with IIgs productivity apps you'll benefit from the 4 megs of RAM. Gaming, not so much.

Things can get tight running GS/OS on a ROM 01 with the commonly available stock Apple 1MB card maxed out (1.25MB total system memory). ROM 3 users don't have to worry as much since they can easily have 2MB of RAM in their machines.

Are they both gone now? My first IIgs, a ROM 01, is still about a week out in the mail so I didn't think much about it. Is this the only way to get past 1.25MB ram in a ROM 01?

Things can get tight running GS/OS on a ROM 01 with the commonly available stock Apple 1MB card maxed out (1.25MB total system memory). ROM 3 users don't have to worry as much since they can easily have 2MB of RAM in their machines.

GS/OS is definitely more usable with 4 MB RAM, especially if you're stuck with 800K floppies only.

They're still available from Briel's website, I think he was selling a couple at discount on eBay because he had them in stock. http://www.brielcomputers.com/

They work great, I have one in my ROM 03 gs, and he's very responsive, ships quickly (if he has it in stock).

It's the easiest way to get 4+ meg on a gs, which is really all you'll need.

Yeah, I do this for "advertising" every once in a while :) I used to be able to sell them at $59 but the cost of the RAM went up so I was forced to increase the price. That price is nearly cost.

@arrow_runner, email me at vince@brielcomputers.com when you are ready for a RAM card, I'll give you the same deal.

Vince

Yep, recently I've purchased a 4MG Ram card and Briel shipped it quickly and without hassle. Now I need time to install the ram in my GS...:sigh:

They are cheaper then filling up 6MB cards with lots of DRAM chips. GS/OS with a HD and RAM disk works well (I have an 8MB RAM card and CPU upgrade in one of my IIgs machines).

Just recieved my 4 meg card, tested it with megamemory tested, passed, and indicated true 4.00mb (total 5.125mb on iigs). Shipment was fast and installation was very easy. thanks for a great product.

that said, what should i do with all this memory, haha

Just recieved my 4 meg card, tested it with megamemory tested, passed, and indicated true 4.00mb (total 5.125mb on iigs). Shipment was fast and installation was very easy. thanks for a great product.

that said, what should i do with all this memory, haha

Make a RAM disk
Use AppleworksGS
Setup a printspooler

That's about it.

Make a RAM disk
Use AppleworksGS
Setup a printspooler

That's about it.

Don't forget Wolfenstein 3D, I am pretty sure that needs 4MB to run, I know it also works best with a CPU accelerator, but DOES run on stock CPU.

Back