• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

4U AT Rack Mount Case - Industrial Quality

That's a nice case, though I dislike the vertical drive mounting--ever tried to use a CD-ROM drive in one of these? :)

Shipping is going to be expensive, however.

Some CDROM drives have clips that hold the CD in that orientation untill the door closes and it get clamped down.

I had a case like that shown and managed to mash a couple of CDs as the drive door suddenly closed on an incompletely-inserted CDROM. Perhaps a caddy-type CD drive would do better, but I haven't seen those offered in many years.

I have a lot of vertical CDROM drives. Generally they work well.

They do jam up and damage the disc if the tray retracts whilst you're pulling the disc out (pretty common booting PC's).

Once in a blue moon the disc falls inside the drive. But the main problem is ejection. Sometimes a full size disc falls out, but minidiscs always get ejected.

Yeah, I know--I've got a couple of CD drives like that, but they didn't prevent my mashing the CDs.

I eventually got frustrated and did some creative metalwork and converted it to horizontal orientation. Does 2 drives instead of three, but it doesn't matter; I use a combo floppy drive for one slot and a standard DVD for the other.

I had a case like that shown and managed to mash a couple of CDs as the drive door suddenly closed on an incompletely-inserted CDROM. Perhaps a caddy-type CD drive would do better, but I haven't seen those offered in many years.

I've got a slot style cd-rom, but I have no idea how good it is. Personally, I hated the things. I'm always the one who has to take stuff apart when kids stuff things in there.
I like the Seanix style cases where the 5.25" carriage can be removed and rotated 90 degrees to convert the tower to desktop. Still got a few of them kicking around, and they're just the right size to fit into a 19" rack.

Door on the left is for an air filter? Wish more chassis had those.

It wouldn't take much to modify this chassis for an ATX motherboard. I did that with another server chassis for my main i7 rig.
IMG_20180425_184323253.jpg
This thing was from a local radio station before Y2K. Originally housed full height 5.25" SCSI drives (they've all died years ago). 14 NORMAL sized 5.25" bays (4 external), or 7 full height bays.

I love the look of that chassis. I'd make an offer, but I'm trying NOT to give into impulse purchasing :eek:nfire:

Hard to mount in an EIA rack, though, no?
Na. I like having it roll on the floor. My rack is on the other end of the room, and this give me room to fill my desk space with other junk :p
Back when I was running multi-monitor with CRTs, I'd have the (normal sized) tower in between two of the monitors so their coils wouldn't interfere with each other (an ATX sidepanel does the job too).

4U Rackmount enclosures AFAIK all have air filters.
Brand name ones, maybe. We had a couple generic 4U chassis at the school that didn't have air filters. Occasionally, when school was out, I'd bring my air compressor, disassemble the entire rig and give it a good cleaning. Mainly, I'd like to see NORMAL desktop chassis have removable air filters.

Last edited:
I've opined that last bit from time to time, but as has been pointed out to me, people would begin scrapping systems when the air filter clogged up...

Mine do--I must be missing something. Intake in the front panel. In the OP's photos, there's a filter that's supposed to be inserted between the two sections (panel and door). There should also be at least one fan behind that. It's actually very common-sense; air is drawn through the front panel into the expansion card area.

Mine has a bank of hard drives there, with some fans on the top which have questionable function in my opinion. There doesn't seem to be a good path for air flow. But it works. Well, except that it apparently won't run any operating system newer than WindowsXP SP0.

SP0 really? Not even SP3?

There's a whole thread about this escapade here. SP3 will not complete installation for anything.

A SP0 to SP3 upgrade with the upgrade file *might* work, I have no idea. But an upgrade by installation CD won't work, nor a fresh install.

Back