• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5150 for 335 $?!

Which is the next computing landmark - big or small - that will celebrate? I'm not expecting battered up breadbox Commodore 64's to sell for insane amounts by the fall of next year (25 years), not even if they're boxed. On the other hand, who knows what a bit of media attention can do... :)

I would think the original Macintosh would go up in value in a few years, but that's probably the last system that will get actual mainstream attention and a subsequent boost in collector's value. Mainstream media and the mainstream public simply don't care about Tandy, Atari or Commodore, among all the others, no matter how significant.

A bit related; on a Swedish auction site there was NOS Commodore 64C (the 1987 edition) ending yesterday. The highest bid was 3500 SEK, c:a $490 and that was below the seller's reservation price! It smells a bit like fake bidding, or the hopeful buyer has too much money on his hands.

The box was visibly teared, but the plastic bags around the computer were intact, so one should probably believe the seller. It came with a Datassette, but no software or other peripherals.

Aargh! My 5150 setup came, but the shipper failed to pack everything properly. The most egregious damage was to the original IBM monochrome monitor, which imploded! I hate when shippers don't know how to pack monitors. We lose far too many irreplaceable monitors that way...

I'm not going to replace it unless I see one really cheap. I have enough monitors and don't need the 100% authentic setup I thought I was getting, but still...

Now to wrangle with the seller to get money back for part of it...

Bummer, I hate to read about stuff damaged in shipping.
I received a damaged 5154 EGA monitor awhile back but
fortunately was able to repair it.

Looking back at your earlier post with the ebay link, with all
the seller said about packaging, it should have been okay.
Packing a monitor is difficult, probably need a good 3-4 inches
of solid foam (not peanuts) enclosing all sides.
Without the original box/molded foam I guess its always risky.

Aargh! My 5150 setup came, but the shipper failed to pack everything properly. The most egregious damage was to the original IBM monochrome monitor, which imploded! I hate when shippers don't know how to pack monitors. We lose far too many irreplaceable monitors that way...

I'm not going to replace it unless I see one really cheap. I have enough monitors and don't need the 100% authentic setup I thought I was getting, but still...

Now to wrangle with the seller to get money back for part of it...

I hear ya , the guy I got my EGA from used a bunch of small folded cardboard
pieces, and one of them exerted upwards pressure on the
size adjustment controls on the back of the monitor, cracked the main
circuit board , and also the circuit board that attaches to the back of the CRT
was in 3 pieces, floating around inside of the monitor :) I was lucky to ever
get that working again. I wanted an EGA monitor bad....and with a little
super glue and some jumper wires across the broken lands, brought it
back from the dead.

On the bright side , looks like you got a bunch of great stuff there :)
The Technical Reference manual is hard to find.

How about mashed up single pages of newspaper in thin boxes?

Last edited:
once I got a Tandy TRS 80 Model III in a box, no padding at all. The box was ripped. TO my amazement it worked! Still works to this day. Go figure.

once I got a Tandy TRS 80 Model III in a box, no padding at all. The box was ripped. TO my amazement it worked! Still works to this day. Go figure.

I was sent a TRS-80 Model III in a box that normally stored toilet paper. The monitor was imploded on that as well (those units were particularly susceptible - Tandy even placed a stern warning on the box about it!). I salvaged parts from the III for a IV I got a few months later. I still have the half gutted III, as it has a good keyboard and presumably drives left in it.

Back