• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5150 for 335 $?!

Perhaps the nice physical condition and hard disk make a difference? Dongfeng should be interested, after his thorough 5150 cleaning recently.

Idle speculation doesn't answer the question.

It's not original - 5150s don't have hard drives. It might not even be that old - it would be very valuable if it were a first revision BIOS, but from the description and the picture, you can't tell which BIOS it is or even if the hard disk is functional.

We've all seen irrational buyers on eBay before. I wouldn't read any more into it. Unless it is something very special (which was not disclosed or can be readily discerned) it is probably just irrational bidding.

I had that in my watch list too. I don't understand what is so special about this 5150, it does not have the manuals with it, neither does the hard drive appear to work as it boots to Cassette BASIC. They keyboard has a lot of strange green stickers on it too. The BASIC is 1.10, so it's not an early one. That have been far better machines on eBay USA recently that went for a LOT less $$$.

A few months ago, a used but boxed 5150 (later model) with all manuals sold on UK eBay for £1,100.

Last edited:
Perhaps the nice physical condition and hard disk make a difference? Dongfeng should be interested, after his thorough 5150 cleaning recently.

Indeed, it is very interesting to me! Especially my 5150 (although it is missing a keyboard) cost £10 ($20) plus a day of arm ache :)

I have been offered yet another 5150, from the original owner. It has CGA 5153 monitor, 10MB hard drive IBM X24E printer and all manuals. It is perfectly working, and very clean! For £45 ($85), is the price a little high?

Last edited:
A while ago I posted a link to an ebay auction for a 5150, or I think it was. Mint in boxes with all documentation. Went for over 1000GBP...I personally dont think a 5150, even in perfect condition is worth handing out all that money for.

I saved the auction details and photos for that £1,100 5150. Yeah, it did have all the boxes, manuals and was in good condition, but it was clearly used. It was the last BIOS revision model, with dual floppy drives and DOS 2.x. IIRC, the buyer was a collector in Germany.

Not long after that, a BRAND NEW 5150 appeared on eBay USA - and that sold for less than $150 :confused:

I still think it's the media. I mean search "IBM 5150", that's the only one! I think television stations worldwide are bidding on it to feature it on their station this Saturday.

The auction ends on Sunday afternoon, Pacific time (which is the night to Monday over here) so anyone who wants it delivered by Saturday would need to put a very high bid and convince the seller to break eBay rules (?) and end auction early. On the other hand, if you're celebrating 25 years, what is a few days or a week more or less?

Back