• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5150 networking recommendations

As always, I get the best advice from these forums.

I made a deal with a member of the forums to purchase one of his for a very good price, so once my first LTD check comes in, which will be as early as Monday or Tuesday, I'll do as tha man says; you pays your money and takes your chances, but in this case, I'm guaranteed that the card will work.

I have a couple of network programs to use on my 5150 set up. But I'm not completely sure if one is really better than the others. All I'm going to use it for is to connect to my Windows 7's shared hard resources. My Win 7 computer actually has three HDDs, a 500Gig primary "C" drive, a 1 TB Secondary "D" drive and a 1.5 TB "E" drive. All of the resources for the IBM PC are stored on a shared directory structure on the "D" drive. It's broken down into multiple folders with the largest being my DOS game collection which has 9500 folders (Approx 7500 games) using 7.67 Gigs of storage space.

I have a list of programs that looks pretty good. In particular, IBM LAN Client for DOS, Laplink 3, or Lantastic. At least these are the one I'm focussing on, unless I find something better.

Thanks again everyone.

Laplink requires you to run it on both computers so I'm not confident you can use it on the Win 7 machine. What version of Lantastic? Not all of them will run under Windows, either, but I know v. 8 will.

Laplink requires you to run it on both computers so I'm not confident you can use it on the Win 7 machine. What version of Lantastic? Not all of them will run under Windows, either, but I know v. 8 will.

I actually have a few software titles to choose from. Those are only the onces I was interested in. Of these, I have several versions. I think I have all totalled, about 2 or 3 versions of Lantastic. However, if there is a single program that I can run from the IBM to access the shared directories, I'm all ears! I want to take a program or file from the shared folder on my Win 7 computer, and copy it to one of the two internal hard disks installed into the expansion unit; something with a simple interface, that won't require it to be run on both computers like Laplink, However, at least I know Laplink enough to use it easily.

I also have several options for copying data from one of my other computers to the IBM too, but all of them still need to be set up. I have a Laplink 3 Null Modem cable, I purchased from modem7, for use with either my primary computer, or the Tweener I built up from an old Gateway P2 computer that was given to me. By setting up a dual boot scenario I could use Lapklink on either machine to store the data and access it from the IBM. Then there is the Zip disk method. The Gateway Tweener has an internal 100 Meg Zip drive, and there is an external 100 Meg Zip drive connected to LPT2 on the IBM, so I could use that, but I still need to get that set up and tested before I spend the $10.00 for the final release of that program.

I guess right now though, the only way to bring data to the IBM is via floppy disk. The tweener has a native 5.25" DSDD 360 Kb floppy drive. The drive has been tested to read and write to known good floppy disks just fine. I'm still trying to muddle my way through formatting some of the "bad" floppy disks I have. I have a full stack of disks that I know are good, if I can just get them to format properly, then I'll have a great supply. Some of these floppies, I just bought as NOS.

So yeah, there are still a few things I'm working on. But I'm close to finally finishing the hardware setup. Once I get the network adapter installed and connected to my network, I'll be finished and can really move on to the software end of things.

I will still keep my eyes and ears open for other options as the arise, but for now I have quite enough to do with a much degraded mental capacity. New medications are driving me crazier than I already was!

Again, thanks everyone.

Back