• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5150 sound card options

Soundcards became a thing arund 1987, so 16-bit machines were common at the time. There were still games made with support for 4MHz 8088 machines, but most things were made with faster machines in mind.

As mentioned, AdLib (and eventually the SoundBlaster which technically has an onboard AdLib) was the allstar consumer market option. You also has the more expensive and advanced MIDI options, or the more obscure things like the Game Blaster, but many of those has not as widespread support.

The Creative Music System/Game Blaster gets no respect. I never heard it outside of DOSBox until I got the ATI soundcard I mentioned earlier in the thread, but to me the music sounds very similar to the Adlib and early Soundblaster. Games like Quest for Glory II sound pretty much identical between the three cards, with the exception of sound effects present only for the Soundblaster. Maybe my hearing is just shot.

Really? The CMS does square wave synthesis a lot like the NES sound chip. FM synthesis is capable of a lot warmer, more natural sounds. Great music can be made on both, they're just different. The CMS doesn't get a lot of attention, because a lot more games support Ad Lib.

but to me the music sounds very similar to the Adlib and early Soundblaster. Games like Quest for Glory II sound pretty much identical between the three cards, with the exception of sound effects present only for the Soundblaster. Maybe my hearing is just shot.

The Sound-Blaster basically contains an AdLib onboard, so I'm not surprised. The Game-Blaster is on the other hand all about squarewaves. Some early Sound-Blasters does have Game-Blaster support, but the two cards are otherwise totally different things.

The build it yourself option is a great idea. Too bad you don't have a pre-packaged kit with everything needed. I would buy one as soon as I had the money. What is the total cost for all of the parts? Or, how much for a pre-built card?

Building the card yourself is not a really cheap deal (you can get an ESS card for much less).

The cost of the parts is:
- PCB (from me) - $10 + $3 shipping in US
- Parts (except of Yamaha ICs) - about $29 from Mouser + $5 or so shipping. (You might already have some parts in your junk box, and save a few $$)
- Yamaha OPL2 + DAC - $7 on eBay + $4 or so shipping
So the total with shipping is about $58... again not cheap, but not as ridiculously expensive as buying the original Adlib (I've seen one on eBay for $200 or so?!... but I guess either the seller was nuts, or it is a really rare collector's item)

Disappointingly, the noise-channel percussion techniques commonly used in Tandy/PCjr compositions and arrangements are almost unheard of with the C/MS chipset, despite it having similar capabilities.

Having preceded the Creative Music System to market in the U.S. by an entire year, it's not surprising that the (superior) Ad Lib MSC garnered the industry support and became a standard. If not for both Sierra and Radio Shack, I imagine the "Game Blaster" might be considered a complete flop today.

Disappointingly, the noise-channel percussion techniques commonly used in Tandy/PCjr compositions and arrangements are almost unheard of with the C/MS chipset, despite it having similar capabilities.

Having preceded the Creative Music System to market in the U.S. by an entire year, it's not surprising that the (superior) Ad Lib MSC garnered the industry support and became a standard. If not for both Sierra and Radio Shack, I imagine the "Game Blaster" might be considered a complete flop today.

Sierra embraced computer audio to a wild degree. For example, Mobygames lists only Sierra Online games as supporting the IBM Music Feature Card. Their early games also supported a wide variety of MIDI hardware from Casio, Yamaha, and a few others, most of which I've never heard of before.

Someone at Sierra really enjoyed music.

The Sound-Blaster basically contains an AdLib onboard, so I'm not surprised. The Game-Blaster is on the other hand all about squarewaves. Some early Sound-Blasters does have Game-Blaster support, but the two cards are otherwise totally different things.

Early Sound Blasters had OPL2 + DAC-SS parts (the same as on the AdLib board). The analog audio output part on SoundBlaster was a bit different from AdLib, but neither of them are HiFi quality. Anyway I don't think it will be any significant difference between FM sound played on AdLib or on a Sound Blaster.

Sound Blaster Pro 2 used OPL3 instead of OPL2 (backward compatible, and I think new OPL3 features are rarely used anyway). Many Sound Blaster 16 cards had OPL3 functionality built in to the SB chip, although Vibra 16 (CT2501) based cards have actual OPL3 chip. Finally newer Vibra 16 versions used FM emulation technique called CQM, which by some accounts produces crappy sound :)

Sierra embraced computer audio to a wild degree.
I imagine it made a lot of business sense to support as many devices as possible, given the lack of standards at the time. They obviously made an industry-defining decision with regard to MIDI-based soundtracks and use of the MPU-401 and MT-32, but the arrangements of these soundtracks for playback on "less-capable" hardware are rather poor by comparison, and in the case of the Ad Lib, likely gave rise to the unfortunate, "cheesy FM" moniker. That said, I'm quite fond of the Casio playback, even if no-one else seems to be... :)

MicroProse never seems to get the credit they deserve, but their sound/music support, if not as wide in scope as that from Sierra, is generally impressive across all supported devices.

Many Sound Blaster 16 cards had OPL3 functionality built in to the SB chip, although Vibra 16 (CT2501) based cards have actual OPL3 chip. Finally newer Vibra 16 versions used FM emulation technique called CQM, which by some accounts produces crappy sound :)
All SB16's with the CT1747 bus-controller has a real OPL3 aswell, but the die is embeded within the CT1747 chip. It's the cards having the CT1978 (like most PnP versions of the SB16) that used the CQM simulated FM.

A lot of cards with the CT1978 has room for a real OPL3 chip, but it's typically not populated.

Back