• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5160 BIOS Source Code

Plasma,
I've been running version 2.3 for several hours now. Dos Navigator runs correctly now. However, there are a couple of new issues. First, the driver for my AST HotShot 286 accelerator, FDD.SYS, hangs durring startup. So, I temporarily rem'ed it out in config.sys. Also, other TSR's that use a "Hot Key" to launch, don't respond to the hot key. The accelerator works Ok without the driver, it's just stuck in 286 mode and can't be switched to Non accelerated V-20 mode without changing a jumper on the card.

The attached HOTSHOT.ZIP file contains FDD.SYS and HOTKEY.COM. I don't know if FDD.SYS will do you any good without the card. HOTKEY.COM is a program that is used to determin the scan code returned when a key or combination of keys is pressed. Then, that scan code is used in config.sys to set the hotkey that triggers FDD.SYS to switch modes as follows; Device=FDD.SYS /key=xxxx where key = the scan code found with HOTKEY.COM. HOTKEY.COM won't run either, presumably for the same reason that FDD.SYS won't work.

Also Dos Navigator hangs up if I launch it when Microsoft Network Client v3.0 for MS DOS is running. I'm not sure if this last problem is new or was there before the latest update.

You've done a commendable job with "Super PC/Turbo XT BIOS" so far. I sometimes feel like maybe I'm asking to much to get it to run with everything that the 5/8/'86 IBM XT BIOS runs. Maybe that's why the IBM BIOS is so big(32K). Be sure to let me know if I'm driving you NUTS with all this!

Regards,

Greg

View attachment 8216

Hmmm ok. Is the HotShot problem new or was that also happening with v2.2?

Hmmm ok. Is the HotShot problem new or was that also happening with v2.2?

The Hotshot problem is new, as is the TSR hot key problem. I think the trouble with the HotShot driver is related to the TSR problem as it uses a hot key to toggle the mode. Difference is, when FDD.SYS comes up in config.sys, it causes the system to hang. Other TSR's "appear" to load, but do not respond to the hot key.

I have the Hotshot problem sorted out. Basically it was checking for enhanced keyboard support by calling int 16h/ah=05h to stuff a fake keystroke into the buffer and then trying to read it with int 16h/ah=10h. I added support for ah=05h and it appears to be working properly but I would like to test it some more. Can you tell me the other TSRs that were having problems with 2.3?

I assume DOS Navigator works ok with MS Network Client when using the 1986+ IBM XT BIOS? Can you tell me how far it gets before it hangs?

I should be thanking you for helping me improve the BIOS, more compatible is always better :)

Glad you've got the HotShot problem worked out.

The TSR's that I've had trouble with are MS Network Client pop up window, and when running DR Dos 7.03 (I'ts setup to boot either PC Dos 7.0 or DR Dos 7.03) the Taskmgr does not respond to the Hot Key.

Yes, Dos Navigator runs with MS Network Client with '86 IBM XT BIOS. When running your bios, if Network client is running, Dos Navigator hangs at the beginning, as soon as the title is displayed. If I recall correctly, It doesn't require a power down, just a Cntrl-Alt-Del.

Thanks for your efforts here. I'm glad to help make "Super PC/Turbo XT BIOS" a better product. I only wish I had a better handle on Assembly Language programming. I've just recently tried to dabble with it but haven't yet been able to dedicate a lot of time studying it. Maybe some day I'll get a grasp on it.

Regards

Greg

P.S. Do you have a version available or can you tell me the changes in the code that makes the HotShot driver work?

Last edited:
Sorry man, it looks like I made a mistake. The problem keeping the TSR's from seeing the "Hot Key" was not related to your Bios. I had made some changes to my Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files and the TSR's were either not loading or they were configured for a different hot key than what I thought. Hope you haven't wasted to much time trying to track down this problem. Please accept my sincere apologies. I'll try to not make this type of mistake in the future! Although, as I get older and grumpier it seems I catch myself blaming something for a problem and then not being able to look past it.

So, it looks like the only issues I'm seeing with Super PC/Turbo XT BIOS ver 2.3 is the HotShot driver, which you mentioned had been figured out, and the MS Network Client keeping Dos Navigator from loading.

Ok no problem. I am working on some 101-key keyboard improvements and then I will look at the network client issue.

Yeah sorry I have been really busy lately. I still have some bugs to work out. I will try to get something done this week.

Just wanted to give a quick update on this. I removed all my previous keyboard "hacks" and am working on doing a proper implementation for enhanced keyboard support, so that all programs work correctly. Running into some free ROM space issues so I am having to optimize other areas to free up room. Anyway it's taking longer than I thought it would but I will post when it's done.

Just wanted to give a quick update on this. I removed all my previous keyboard "hacks" and am working on doing a proper implementation for enhanced keyboard support, so that all programs work correctly. Running into some free ROM space issues so I am having to optimize other areas to free up room. Anyway it's taking longer than I thought it would but I will post when it's done.
Cool, I'll be patient.
Are you trying to keek it to 8K?
No wonder the later IBM Bios versions were about 32K.

Yes it will still be 8K. I think it's possible since a lot of the hardware tests that the IBM BIOS does are omitted.

Ok, new version is up! Sorry it took so long, been crazy busy...

I didn't have time to test with the network client so let me know if it's still causing problems.

Awsome! I'm gettin' my EPROM programmer out right now. I'll let you now the outcome, possibly as soon as tonight

Just curious--how closely does this adhere to the original IBM PC standards? For example, the INT 13H diskette service entry at F000:E3FE or int 1AH at F000:FE6E. Evidently, both IBM and Phoenix (and I assume Award) thought it was important to carry it along as BIOSes advanced.

Awsome! I'm gettin' my EPROM programmer out right now. I'll let you now the outcome, possibly as soon as tonight
So far so good. I have not been able to find anything that won't run with the new version. There is onr thing that needs a Cntrl-Alt Del before it will run. SMS.COM is the uttillity that changes the mode on my EGA Wonder. If I type SMS /ENAB (enables advanced features of the card) immediatly after power on, the system freezes. If I do the three finger salute before executing the command, it works fine. Other than that I can't find any problems. I'll keep trying.

Last edited:
Just curious--how closely does this adhere to the original IBM PC standards? For example, the INT 13H diskette service entry at F000:E3FE or int 1AH at F000:FE6E. Evidently, both IBM and Phoenix (and I assume Award) thought it was important to carry it along as BIOSes advanced.

It should have all the expected PC/XT entry points. Int 13h is at F000:EC59. AFAIK F000:E3FE is the AT entry point for Int 13h if a hard drive is present.

So far so good. I have not been able to find anything that won't run with the new version. There is on thing that needs a Cntrl-Alt Del before it will run. SMS.COM is the uttility that changes the mode on my EGA Wonder. If I type SMS /ENAB (enables advanced features of the card) immediatly after power on, the system freezes. If I do the three finger salute before executing the command, it works fine. Other than that I can't find any problems. I'll keep trying.

Ok. I will take a look at sms.com and see if I can figure out what it's doing.

If I understand this BIOS correctly, you would lose the Cassette functionality provided by Int 15 on the IBM PC 5150 by inserting this ROM. Of course, you could also program the cassette recorder directly, but I would think that the BASIC ROMs call Int 15.

Back