• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5IEM M1O1 motherboard manual or jumper settings needed

techtatan

Experienced Member
Hi everybody,

I'm try to get work and old computer for a friend that do not want to change from it.
The message on screen always says : Cmos battery check failed.

there is no CMOS battery on this motherboard, only a chip called "odin OEC12C887" that does the clock work.
I already replaced this chip by a new one the date is now OK! but still have a message saying : Cmos battery check failed.

Can anyone help out with a manual or jumper layout for the mother board : 5IEM M101 socket 7 :confused:
or any other information that helps :)

there is another code on the side of one ISA slot : 5IEM2-Z1 may this helps ?

Thanks and Kind regards,
Techtatan

Obviously the OEC... chip is a rebadged Dallas DS12887, so there's a replacement readily available.

How about a photo of the board, so some enterprising soul can identify the chipset and perhaps match it up against the TH99 layouts?

Looks like a COAST module is installed. Some boards had the option for both.

hi again

cache is installed if that reassures you !
I was aware about chaintech (info i googled out). but that did not bring me further.

The question is should there be an external cmos battery connected to a specific jumper or not ? thats why i'm looking for the manual or jumper settings !

any help will be appreciated !

Kind regards, Techtatan

No, no external battery--you're using a module with an internal battery (and crystal). There is no way to disable the battery. Did you re-set the time? Some BIOS routines keep reading the "battery fail" flag until the time has been reset.

However, how old is the replacement RTC module that you added? Was it purchased new or used?

Last edited:
Hi again

I tried Cmos reset --> no changes on the problem !

The chip was sold as new an packaging realy looks new.

question : should there be an output voltage on the "odin OEC12C887" chip ? if yes on what pin.
I tried to figure it ou by datasheet but did not get the right info!

Thanks for your quick reply !

Kind regards, Techtatan

hi again

Update :

I made an an autopsy on the old ship :

31052012530.jpg

maybe the ship i ordered was new but 10 years ago (stocked) ?!

i will try with the Dallas DS12887 one and then update here !
This may take a little time !

Thanks, Techtatan

Hi again

I tried Cmos reset --> no changes on the problem !

The chip was sold as new an packaging realy looks new.

question : should there be an output voltage on the "odin OEC12C887" chip ? if yes on what pin.
I tried to figure it ou by datasheet but did not get the right info!

Thanks for your quick reply !

Kind regards, Techtatan

Without the normal +5 applied to Vcc on the chip, the battery is isolated--that is, without actually putting the chip into a working, supplied circuit, there's no way to tell what the condition of the battery is.

I hope you did not purchase the OEC12C887 from a Chinese seller--there is a terrible tendency to sell pulls as new in that market.

Hi again

I hope you did not purchase the OEC12C887 from a Chinese seller--there is a terrible tendency to sell pulls as new in that market.

That is exactly what's happened !

There is no way to disable the battery

This is not the whole truth ;)

Here is my solution to this annoying problem :

please see the link to my page (there are too much photos to post here) : LINK

It is tested and works fine !
Thanks for all your kind help and time !
Kind regards, Techtatan

Well, yes, that's been discussed many times here. ;)

But for things such as RTC modules, you really cannot trust the Chinese sellers. They have a very substantial business practice of relabeling old "pull" ICs and selling them as new. The US military even has the serious problem of Chinese counterfeit ICs.

I wonder why no one has made a business of buying the naked RTC chip, adding a crystal and terminals for an external battery as a replacement. Just replace the external battery every few years and you're good for another decade or so...

maybe the following is not a commercial version :rolleyes

My point was that few are willing to dig into an RTC block. Of course, what's inside the thing is nothing more than an IC with some pins bent up, a 32.768Khz crystal and a lithium battery.

Why not duplicate this but leave off the epoxy? It would be very easy.

Back