• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8 bit SCSI card driver repository

pkhoury

Experienced Member
Just wondering if there are any repositories for 8 bit SCSI cards.

I was having some issues with several Micropolis and Seagate drives in my 5161, and figured maybe it was a drive problem. Anyways, I'm starting to think it's a problem with my Trantor controller. I was happily using an NCR 8 bit controller before, but one of my friends found this Trantor controller with drivers (which included CD-ROM drivers). I thought it would've been cool to stick a single or double speed CD-ROM in the 5161.

With that said - does anyone have any ideas? I'd like to be able to use a CD-ROM under DOS with my NCR (I'll get card details later), but if not, I'm fine with just hard drive support.

Don't know which Trantor you have, but I've used the T130B successfully with CD-ROM drives (that's what it was originally shipped with, the single speed external Sony drives) as well as using the BIOS version to boot from a Jaz 1GB hard drive. IIRC, there are even ASPI drivers for it--rare in an 8-bit card.

You didn't mention what the CD-ROM drive was.

I'm probably going to use a Toshiba drive, like a 3301 or 3401. I haven't got that far, because I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my SCSI hard drive.

I managed to figure out some model numbers. My alternate options for 8 bit SCSI cards are a DTC 3250 and a Storage Dimensions SDC-802. I used the SDC-802 before and would prefer that card; drivers apparently exist for the DTC card, but finding a non-malware site to download the proper zip from is a challenge.

I just double checked as I pulled it out of my 5160 - the T130B is the card I also have. Whenever I try copying files, be it DOS or XTree Gold, the system locks up or shows garbled text. I'm going

I've probably got drivers for the 3250, but I'd have to look.

Check the terminators on the T130B--and on your hard drive. Leave those off on either end and things get wonky.

I might check it again, but the Storage Dimensions controller is working beautifully now (and I opted to keep the controller in my 5161 with the original 5.25" FH Micropolis I was using).

I think the file name for the DTC is DTCSCSI1.zip or something like that, but googling last night finds a bunch of malware/junk sites that don't have the actual file, but point you to a useless executable. Even though all is working, the prospect of a CD-ROM is still quite appealing!

Mine's on a 5.25", the last time I looked and pre-dates the Internet. I think I may have some hardcopy OEM documentation for things (courtesy of a friend at DTC).

Back