• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8032 issue and PET character ROM vs EPROM

That's a colour monitor, an entirely different kettle of fish. No, I can't imagine anything there causing a blank screen; off-centre, tilted, a little out of focus perhaps, but you'll almost certainly see something.

Sounds like a problem in the horizontal drive/high voltage section.

Do the HV transformer use to burn easily? Is there any way to check if there is some HV in the HV cable (without to asking a friend to put a finger on it? ;-) )

My current girlfriend is waiting for me and although she's not quite as, umm, excitable as my Brazilian one was I'm nevertheless not eager to incur her wrath, so this'll have to wait until I get back in a day or so; maybe you'll have solved it by then.Good luck!

ah ah ah I understand, my wife is italian and it's better not to upset her (definitely it's safer to face one of my german sheperds during their training ;-) )

Last edited:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcf...2-B-monitor-issue/page7&highlight=fluorescent

As discussed later in that thread, you might want to check the three resistors mounted on standoffs around the width coil, R751, 752, & 753.

Fingers crossed...

Well, I believe I deserved a little of luck, after 12 years suffering on the 3032: I checked and replaced (well, piggyback) the R752 and it works now!
THANK YOU!!! (one more time :)) -- now I only need to find a 58 ohm resistor 1/4 watt (I used two resistor 1 W but I'm afraid the next time could blow something more important...)

You and Dave are better than a scope, indeed! With your help I can fix everything... computer, cars, washing machine... I have a washing machine here with an issue, would you take a look? ;-)

The oddity: The forum hides older threads as default, so I couldn't see that thread in the list (I was just seeing just two pages of threads). I thought it was a quite new forum with just few threads yet, but I changed the settings and I discovered a new world! Great!

I'm afraid I didn't check it before, but usually forums aren't so strict about thread aging so I didn't think at it.... if I could see that thread, I was able to fix my CRT without to perturbate anybody... :-/

Now I have some issues on the board, but I will try to fix them on my own (after the 3032 fixing, nothing can make me worry :)

Thank you, again!

Hats off to Mike for remembering that fix!

Giovi,
There is a lot of good stuff saved on the Forum, but you will find that the search capability is a little lacking.

Hats off to Mike for remembering that fix!

Giovi,
There is a lot of good stuff saved on the Forum, but you will find that the search capability is a little lacking.

...yes, expecially if you DON'T see the threads!

And yes, bacio la mano a Mike for that! :D

("bacio le mani a" = kiss the hand to; it's something that people from south of Italy do -> I'm from north of Italy so I don't really use to do it, except as joke... in some cultural aspects, north and south of Italy are as far as Canada and Mexico :) )

...bacio la mano a Mike for that! :D
Better la mano than both cheeks...

And thanks to Philip for pointing us to those resistors in the first place. A Brit (?) in Japan giving a German in Canada and an American in California the clue they needed to help an Italian in Brazil repair his ancient PET computer; isn't the Internet (and this forum) great?

Now, what kind of washing machine?

Last edited:
Better la mano than both cheeks...

And thanks to Philip for pointing us to those resistors in the first place. A Brit (?) in Japan giving a German in Canada and an American in California the clue they needed to help an Italian in Brazil repair his ancient PET computer; isn't the Internet (and this forum) great??

Definitely, LOL, and I would add that I bought it through eBay from a Slovenijan girl :)

Now, what kind of washing machine?

ah ah ah ah I'm sending you the service manual by email, please take a look ;-)

Great Result! [Resultado Optimo!]

Can anyone confirm for me the values on these caps?
I think I have 2/3 correct but want to confirm before I order and start work with this fix.

R751 2.2 ohm, 0.25w metal film/precision
R752 58 ohm, 0.25w metal film/precision
R753 56 ohm, 0.25w metal film/precision

Many thanks

Can anyone confirm for me the values on these caps?
I think I have 2/3 correct but want to confirm before I order and start work with this fix.

R751 2.2 ohm, 0.25w metal film/precision
R752 58 ohm, 0.25w metal film/precision
R753 56 ohm, 0.25w metal film/precision

Many thanks

Yes, those are the values of resistors I see on the schematic. Any type of 1/4 Watt resistors should do.

Back