• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8032 will not boot

pttak

My 8032 will not boot. I purchased and installed a bitfixer and with #2 selected I get the boot jingle and normal display with 31743 bits free. I selected #13 and it boots up and displays the correct checksums for the four ROMs. I allowed it to run the RAM test for more than 24 hours with no errors. I then selected nop #12 and checked all address lines and data lines on the 6502 and all are as they should be. I checked the address lines on the ROMs and all measured correctly. The data lines on the ROMs all have signals. I understand that bitfixer does not check the edit ROM. What should I do next?

Thanks to Colin, I decided to try replacing the edit ROM, 901474-03. I downloaded the bin file from https://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/pet/index.html and programmed it into a 2716 EPROM and that FIXED THE PROBLEM!! I now have a working CBM 8032. It is amazing that there is so much support for these old machines. Fantastic.
Signing off from Alaska (for a while).

Welcome to VCFED.

That was a nice simple fix!

As the author of the PETTESTER code that you used, I was about to chime in after reading your first post - but you had it all worked out by the second!

Nice going.

Dave

Dave, Thanks very much for your response.

The bitfixer/PETTESTER has been a fantastic tool that I have used to troubleshoot three 8032's so far. All I can do is thank you for all your effort. I have looked at FPGA programming in the past and know what it takes so I certainly appreciate what you have accomplished. I now move on to troubleshooting a 8050 drive. I'm wondering if there have been any routines developed for the bitfixer for 8050's? I do have a R-pi4 and wired up an adapter for bitfixer (yet to be tried). Also I have the tools for programming EPROMS here so if folks need help with that, give me a shout.
I have a SP9000 combo board for one of my 8032's and plan to put that system up for sale and also an 8050 drive and 8023 printer in new condition. Thanks again. Mike (pttak)

Back