• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8088 to 286 Accelerator Board

ribbets

Experienced Member
Found an 8 bit card with a 286 processor on the board with a 40pin cable to a 40 pin male socket plug that has to "8088 socket" written on it. board #JCI-SIS 0986-210107A Rev 1. 5 jumpers Cache and 3 for clock...
the processor has 4/21/86 FC XT286 model 2 on it and PWA120000032 on the side....
NEED INPUT can anyone ID it

Board

Board

This maybe an Orchid Tiny Turbo 286 board. Does it has a 80287 socket and/or a switch allowing 8088 vs 80286 operation?

Another possibility is a Sota Technology board - although I'm not sure if they had 286 models. (They had 386 based ones).

286 cpu is center top and their is no toggle switch and the open 40 pin socket is left center ... I believe this came out of an Epson

there were many '286 accelerator board things. The Tiny's IINM didn't require unplugging the 8088 - you just plugged the card in a slot and loaded driver software. I have the older card w/an 80186. You'll have to do some research on that. Maybe classiccmp.org.

Chris, do you mean the Tiny Turbo 286 board I posted? Total Hardware 99 specifies the cable. If it's not required, any idea where I could get the driver software?

I believe you take a HUGE performance hit if you don't have the cable, assuming it works at all, never heard it could run cabless, might be wrong though.

Assuming the board came-out of an Epson, some information on 286 accelerator boards tested by Epson for the Equity I+ and Equity II is available from their site.

One of these documents lists the following possibilities for 286 accelerator boards:

Applied Reasoning.....PC Elevator

PC Technologies, Inc.....286 Express

Sota Technology, Inc.....Sota 286i.

There should be some markings on the board it-self that could be decoded to one of the above manufactor/product name combination.

Good luck

after researching

after researching

This board was made for EVEREX and it requires the 8088 removed and the cable plugged into the socket.. but thanks for all the help ,,,, I still had the original box and under the foam was the sticker that ID this card

Sorry, I gave you the wrong error

Sorry, I gave you the wrong error

The problem was in the boot disk .... and the error was " come from 20" not what I quickly saw as A 20 Line.. Old eyes.. Now I need to find out what the heck intercal for dos is and not use this disk again..

Tiny turbo

Tiny turbo

I recently bought a Tiny Turbo Board for my XT.

I haven't done any major tests on it other than seeing if it works.

So far only one card in my XT that doesn't, the floppy card, which was fixed by trying
another floppy card.

Pays to have extras of everything...

Last edited:
very interesting... i've never even heard of this before. probably would be of similar performance to a tandy 1000tx which has an XT motherboard, as in an 8-bit memory and data bus, but with a 286 chip rigged onto it. it can only access 1 MB of RAM, and the 286's protected mode cannot be used.

even with this limitation, the machine still delivers a huge performance boost over the 8088.

very interesting... i've never even heard of this before. probably would be of similar performance to a tandy 1000tx which has an XT motherboard, as in an 8-bit memory and data bus, but with a 286 chip rigged onto it. it can only access 1 MB of RAM, and the 286's protected mode cannot be used.

even with this limitation, the machine still delivers a huge performance boost over the 8088.

Like a clone xt with a turbo button :+>

The nice thing about the card, it doesnt alter the computer in any,
other than just plugging in the card.

If it required changing chips and soldering in anything, I wouldn't of bothered.

Another card that is very rare, the intel board, inboard 386, that would be a nice gem to get a hold of..

:D

Like a clone xt with a turbo button :+>

The nice thing about the card, it doesnt alter the computer in any,
other than just plugging in the card.

If it required changing chips and soldering in anything, I wouldn't of bothered.

Another card that is very rare, the intel board, inboard 386, that would be a nice gem to get a hold of..

:D

never heard of the inboard 386 either. the 286 upgrade card and tandy 1000tx is more than just a mega-turbo 8088... you also get the ability to run programs that use 286 instructions!

never heard of the inboard 386 either. the 286 upgrade card and tandy 1000tx is more than just a mega-turbo 8088... you also get the ability to run programs that use 286 instructions!

9806_3.jpg

Back