• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8bitmuseum.de Retro Chip Tester

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
One piece of test equipment that I do believe most people should own is the Retro Chip Tester. This little device is invaluable for testing Logic chips, SRAM. DRAM EProms and many
others. The price is not to unreasonable. For the RCT mainboard and Power converter board the price is 65 Euro's. For programming the ATMEL micro controller a small additional cost is involved. Slow mode shipping is around 12 euros. About 3 weeks to the US, Be advised that except for the ATMEL there are no parts installed. Although they do sell an assembled unit as well. If You want to assemble it yourself it can be tedious or have someone else do it for you. Highly recommended. figure total for parts at around $200.00 US

Here is the site: https://8bit-museum.de/sonstiges/hardware-projekte/hardware-projekte-chip-tester-english/
to get one send in a request at this link: https://8bit-museum.de/kaufen-buy/

Last edited:
One minor correction here Stephan does not sell assembled RCTs. However, I do build and sell them as a hobby to folks in the US for $340 including shipping. Have sold 35 of them to date with no complaints from folks who purchased them. That is the good news. The bad news is that I have a day job that is what pays the bills and currently have a backlog of requests for assembled RCTs. I am backed up at least 2 months given my production rate. If you are interested in more details, send me a private message.

Ok My mistake. I thought he did. But they are a fantastic piece of equipment.

And yes they can be a pain to build took me nearly 10 Hours total just to build mine. Do you sell them with the ATMEL pre-programmed?

And if any one here is planning on getting one I have 7 of the ULN2003 chip that is needed by the tester for $10.00 each.

Last edited:
I do agree. It is a great tool and fairly flexible with adapters, etc. It can even program a few EPROMs with the appropriate adapters.

From the standpoint of someone who assembles them, it is well designed with and has a great board layout. Stephan has taken great care to make the BOM require as few parts as possible. Obviously, I am a big fan.

Ok My mistake. I thought he did. But they are a fantastic piece of equipment.

And yes they can be a pain to build took me nearly 10 Hours total just to build mine. Do you sell them with the ATMEL pre-programmed?

And if any one here is planning on getting one I have 7 of the ULN2003 chip that is needed by the tester for $10.00 each.

I sell them fully tested and ready to use with the latest firmware installed. You can read more about what I tell people buying them from me in this google doc… RCT Purchase Note

Gregg

Hi Gregg, I agree It is a great tool to have. As for the Display I got mine from Mouser. White letters on a backlit blue display. Cost around $27.xx.
As seen here: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/763-NHD-0420DZNSWBBW it is a really nice looking display

I would like to get the bare SIMM adapter board from you if you accept PayPal.

I power mine through the Micro USB connector port. Don't use the barrel plug

Last edited:
Hi Gregg, I agree It is a great tool to have. As for the Display I got mine from Mouser. White letters on a backlit blue display. Cost around $27.xx.
As seen here: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/763-NHD-0420DZNSWBBW it is a really nice looking display

I would like to get the bare SIMM adapter board from you if you accept PayPal.
I do have bare SIMM adapter boards available as well as assembled ones. I do take payment for assembled RCTs, boards, etc via PayPal. Please DM me to work out the details.
I power mine through the Micro USB connector port. Don't use the barrel plug
In order to support chips which requires 12V, -5V, etc you need to power it via the barrel connector and build out one of the power supply boards. Stephan outlines this in the manual. If you don't need those voltages for the chips you test, you can just use the micro USB connector without a power supply board. All the assembled boards I sell come with an assembled power supply board which requires ~9VDC at the barrel connector.

Gregg

Hi Gregg, I have the standard DC to DC convertor. it came as part of the kit. I can test a 4116 RAM Chip which requires +12 Volts +5 Volts and -5 Volts using the uppermost micro USB connector. See picture. Barrel connector not used. I get what you mean. Need a power convertor board.

I should have clarified that in my last post...about micro USB

Attachments

• 100_2649.JPG
    100_2649.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
The ULN2003A is indeed hard to source nowadays. For those building up a RCT, the ULQ2003A is the same circuit with the same pinout, made using a newer process at a newer fab, mostly electrically identical, and will work as a drop-in replacement for the RCT.

The ULN2003A is indeed hard to source nowadays. For those building up a RCT, the ULQ2003A is the same circuit with the same pinout, made using a newer process at a newer fab, mostly electrically identical, and will work as a drop-in replacement for the RCT.
They seem to be available for ~ $1.00 each not including shipping @ Digi-Key, ULN2003, but by the time you get it to your door it probably costs $10 for quantity 1.

Gregg

Back