• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A Modern Accelerator Board

Agreed, but you will have to essentially cut and remove the entire back metal where the slots are to accomodate a standard ATX 8-slot motherboard, as well as drill and finish new screw holes. Destroying a classic case just so you can put in a modern motherboard seems tragic, but then again, it is yours and you can do with it whatever you like.
If I were to pursue this project, I would try to trade my 5150 for a 5160 with someone else. That way there should be little to no modification required of the case, although you will still have to make at least an additional hole for the PS/2 mouse connector and cut out a space for the other back connectors on the board. But the main slots/holes should line up.

Don't worry. I will never touch my 5150 (or any other of my classics)!
I may end up saving some cash to buy a 5170 case with PSU or a fully working one.

Thank you.

Jose

hello
This tuning the old PC is (at the moment) my hobby.
So, a new "cpu-power" card on the way – and I go wayyyy :D ….well.
I have set the boundaries for my hobby to the original motherboard – then finding the most advanced / powerfull / crazy components to get the PC , lets say, go 1% faster.
Example – have a SCSI->RAID-SCSI converter lying , and one day it will feed the pc-xt with data.
Ones installed I can say ”I am running DOS on a original pc with RAID5 ” :crazy:
Back to the cpu cards.
@lyonadmiral , I think another bottleneck when you have a system runing. The software written for modern PC's do not understand what hardware you got . So, software drivers are then also a most.

The version without a cpu replacement and the rather unflexible flexible cpu cabel, would bee just awsome. But, if I remeber correct the review were not that overwhelming. But I agree , a solution with only one card would bee perfect ;)

The SOTA cards have one very attractive feature. The switch from 8088 to 286/386 cpu. And in my mind a perfect solution. When I want slow cpu for some old game , a have the original 8088. And for more modern applications I then have a 386 – in the same PC.
Speed: The SOTA were not the fastest, and the make-it-486 without drivere were neither the fastest. But I like the speed of the Intel Inboard/386 with Evergreen cpu mounted.

I have not that much knowledge on the technical site of a new cpu-card. But can see that the old boards have alot of standard LS chips, and no ”chipset”. And if a new cpu-card with chipset is introduced in a slot – will it coexist with the original motherbaord ??

/cimonvg

Back