• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

"A nice game of chess" for an Apple II/II+/IIe

tezza

Veteran Member
Hi,

One piece of software I like to have for all machines in my collection is a chess game. My Apples don't have one at the moment. Does anyone know where I could get a freeware/public domain/(abandonware?) copy of one?

Tez

TNW is no fun...it always ends the same way...

--T

Everyone knows the only way to win is to not play at all....

Tez, I feel like I should probably contribute to the thread in some way. I don't have any chess games for Apple II (I have Ed's Chess and Solitare for PC) but have you checked eBay or whatever you guys use down there?

--Jack

"Sargon II" was probably my favorite chess game for the Apple II line of computers. If there's a way to get a copy of that one, I'd go for it. Wish I still owned a copy!

Right. Got Sargon III, to keep my Apples amused. Thanks to everyone who sent me links.

wmmullaney, thanks for the link. I didn't get anything from that site though, as the browser told me the site wanted to install a piece of software I wasn't familiar with. Probably harmless, but I didn't want to take the chance.

Cheers

Tez

Last edited:
Good choice on NOT installing that activex software. I found numerous warnings on security holes in that software. The software is not a virus or bad, just has some security holes that can be used by hackers.

Give me time and I might :D

When I started cleaning up these old Apples the intention was to sell most of them, but now I've spent hours (days!) nursing and cajoling them back to health they all feel like members of the family!

Ok I know. I need to get out more :)

Tez

Right. Got Sargon III, to keep my Apples amused. Thanks to everyone who sent me links.

wmmullaney, thanks for the link. I didn't get anything from that site though, as the browser told me the site wanted to install a piece of software I wasn't familiar with. Probably harmless, but I didn't want to take the chance.

Cheers

Tez

Thats odd, never happened to me, it is a great piece of software (If) you can get it working.

Yea, those are great historical archives allright. It's good they are one the web and accessible to all.

Tez

Back