• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Acoustic coupler question.

Thx1138

Experienced Member
Hi,

I have an Anderson Jacobs 212 acoustic coupler which still powers up. However am I correct in thinking that when you turn these things on you should immediately hear them emitting a tone?

Charlie

I don't think so--the unit first listens for the answering tone. At least that's my recollection--it's been a long time since I used a wood-box modem.

I have a vague recollection that if you were connected to the coupler by RS232 you could hear the emitted tone changing as you pressed keys. Also garbage would appear on your terminal from background noises picked up by the transducers. Neither of these things are happening with mine so although the power light comes on I'm wondering if something's broken somewhere?

If the acoustic coupler has an answer/originate switch then when its switched to answer it emits a carrier tone, and when its set to originate it emits no tone. Its actually listening for a carrier tone.

Some early and low end acoustic couplers are "originate only" so are silent when powered up until the telephone handset it placed in there and strikes up a conversation with the "answer" modem.

Hope this helps,

Ian.

The GE 212 compatible I have, in addition to an originate/answer switch, has a switch to detect when a handset is placed in the cradle. It is silent until the switch is depressed, even when in answer mode. When depressed in answer mode, it does produce an audible 300 baud response tone.

Back