• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Adaptec ACB-2002A BIOS and FIRMWARE EPROM dump?

dkedrowitsch

Experienced Member
Does anyone have access to an ACB-2002A 8-bit MFM controller they could dump the ROMS from for me?

I want to to salvage one that's missing the EPROMS and would like to use the original Adaptec code.

Regards!!
Dieter

Yes, I have one.

How would you like me to dump the BIOS? This isn't something I do regularly. :)

BTW, this card is available if anyone is interested in it (after I dump the BIOS for Dieter).

Thank you!! How much would you need to get for it?

I'll have to research how to dump those ROMs. Usually I pop them into my device programmer and just copy the data to .bin files. But I'm sure there is a way to do it through debug and dump it to a bin file.

I'll check it out and get back to you ASAP.

Thanks!

Anyone know the memory locations for both the Adaptec BIOS and FIRMWARE ROMS. I know launching the low level format utility is accessed via debug at location c800:ccc.

The firmware ROMs are not addressable in PC memory--they're private to the CPU on board. The BIOS ROM should normally be at C800:0. However, if they're the same type/size, you can put the CPU firmware into the BIOS ROM socket and dump it the same way--you just won't have a hard disk for the duration.

So it turns out Stones ACB-2002A is actually an ACB-2010A badged as the 2002. Bummer. Adaptec must have done that a lot, I happen to have one too. I'm not sure if the firmwares are compatible...I doubt it.

So the hunt is still on for ACB-2002A ROM images or even to buy one. You can tell the 2002s from the 2010s by the orientation of the ICs and placement of the LED. The original 2002A has the ICs placed horizontally and the LED is at the front of the PCB between the HDD data and control pin headers. The 2010 has vertically oriented ICs and the LED is up at the top of the card more towards the back filler plate.

Thanks!!

Back