• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Add activity LED to MFM hard drive?

A mnemonic is just a simple memory helper, who cares if it's PC or not. Geesh.

I suppose the problem that some have is that mnemonics are also a teaching device and you don't want to give the wrong idea when teaching. The flowers one is pretty good, although not as classy as "On Old Olympus' Towering Tops A Friendly Viking Grew Vines and Hops"

At any rate Wikipedia lists the following:

Bad boys rape our young girls behind victory garden walls.
Bad boys run our young girls behind victory garden walls.
Bad boys rape our young girls but Violet gives willingly.
Big boys race our young girls but Violet generally wins.
Bad beer rots our young guts but vodka goes well – get some now.
Big brown rabbits often yield great big vocal groans when gingerly slapped.
B. B. ROY of Great Britain has Very Good Wife.
Bye Bye Rosie Off You Go Birmingham Via Great Western.
Bye Bye Rosie Off You Go Bristol Via Great Western.
Bye Bye Rosie Off You Go do Become a Very Good Wife.
Bill Brown Realized Only Yesterday Good Boys Value Good Work.

Anyone know of one that rhymes?

At any rate, you know you've arrived when you can pick out a 47K resistor from a pile and have to pause and think about what colors were on the resistor.

A mnemonic is just a simple memory helper, who cares if it's PC or not. Geesh.
I usually have a "Yeah, right on!" mental reaction to your posts, and don't have much use for most PC nonsense myself, but I can see how some people, especially women, might be as annoyed/offended by casual use of the word 'rape' as they might by the 'F' word. Use whatever works for ya mentally, but something to keep in mind when using it verbally...

I suppose the problem that some have is that mnemonics are also a teaching device and you don't want to give the wrong idea when teaching. The flowers one is pretty good, although not as classy as "On Old Olympus' Towering Tops A Friendly Viking Grew Vines and Hops"
Yeah, I've been trying, but it ain't easy to reprogram my brain and replace Bad Boys... with Big Beautiful...; so far Big Beautiful Redheads is working better for me than Roses, unfortunately...

At any rate, you know you've arrived when you can pick out a 47K resistor from a pile and have to pause and think about what colors were on the resistor.
Yeah, curiously 47 and 10 are the only two values that I recognize immediately, 47 probably from the tube and analogue days and 10 (K) from the TTL world...

You all can use whatever mnemonic you choose. I learned that one 40 years ago in High School electronics class and I have been able to remember it since then. I'm too old to try and learn a new one when the old one worked so well for me!

Strollin, thank heavens that whatever mnemonic you use, it's easy to remember what the words stand for. I can't say the same for "On Old Olympus..." :)

You all can use whatever mnemonic you choose. I learned that one 40 years ago in High School electronics class and I have been able to remember it since then. I'm too old to try and learn a new one when the old one worked so well for me!
Of course, use whatever works for you in your mind, but as Sombunall points out if you use that sort of talk with her or other women you just might be perceived to be a crude and inconsiderate boor and be treated accordingly.

Not that this is really a serious example, but manners and consideration for others seem to be in decline these days, especially on some internet forums and user groups; when someone dares to suggest that something is inappropriate or annoying there are almost invariably replies along the lines of, "I think it's OK, and if you don't like it, tough!"

Just sayin'...

Last edited:
Strollin, thank heavens that whatever mnemonic you use, it's easy to remember what the words stand for. I can't say the same for "On Old Olympus..." :)
I'm still working on something memorable to follow "Big Beautiful Redheads" and maybe end in "Very Good/Generous/? Women"... ;-)

Back