• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ADT-Pro like programs for TRS-80??

Hi all:
So I recently finished up refurbishing a Model III with upgraded memory.
I would like to start getting some disk images written from my PC to actual floppies.
I know there are a multitude of ways to do this, however, I am at a disadvantage as I do not have a PC with a legacy 5.25 drive, so writing the disks on a PC, for use in the TRS-80, isn't a viable option at the moment. (Oh, how I am kicking myself for having parted with all that legacy gear 5 years ago)

I use a program called ADT-Pro for moving disk images from my laptop to my Apple II+, IIe, and IIc. Is there an equivalent such an application for the TRS-80? My Google searches seem to say no, but I could be missing something. Of course, I would need to install a RS-232 card in the Model III to make this a viable option as well.

Thanks,
mark

Looks like I may have found something. Maybe. But I would need to get a RS232 board for the Model III. Guess that may be the next step.

What's the configuration of your Model III? It's rare to have disk drives and no RS232.
I used to do transfers over null modem and it was tedious but worked fine. I got a FreHD and never looked back, but it is expensive.

Since you have a disk controller, why not just get an inexpensive Gotek?

The configuration is a 16K 1062 model III to which a previous owner must have added drives and additional memory, it shows 48K when running. What else is interesting is, startup, it just goes to a dark screen. No typical Cass? prompt, etc. But boots and works just fine when given a boot disk. Is this atypical?

Yeah. I have been looking online at guides for GoTeks in Model IIIs all morning. I recently bought one for my Kaypros, but haven't put FlashFloppy on it yet. If I buy a second one for the model III, I want to find one with the Artery AT32F435. The FlashFloppy author recommends those. Mine has the Artery AT32F415 which he said is not ideal; however, I haven't had much luck finding ones for sale that explicitly state they are AT32F435 chips and aren't eBay price gouging.

Last edited:
What else is interesting is, startup, it just goes to a dark screen. No typical Cass? prompt, etc. But boots and works just fine when given a boot disk. Is this atypical?

Hold down the ”break” key when turning it on/resetting and you’ll drop to BASIC. This is normal behavior with the disk controller present.

Looks like I may have found something. Maybe. But I would need to get a RS232 board for the Model III. Guess that may be the next step.
Hi stargeezerlabs,
in my opinion the solution with XModem has two odds:
  1. You need a booted disk OS to store transmitted files on a floppy
  2. You can transfer files only
From my point of view it is a good solution with an up and running system to transfer any individual file. Prior to that you might need something else.
But it is up to you to decide what you have and what you need.

Back