• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ADTpro & Hard drive

Call-151

Experienced Member
Hi All,
need some assistance here, looked over at ADTpro sourceforge forum and i didnt find the answer to my question. That said, i want to know if there is a way to exclusively transfer a disk image (ie: 2mg, dsk shk) using ADtpro send command and ultimately have it reside to a HD partition sub directory? I have initially tried with a 2mg image but all it did was give me a 'mismatch capacity' and ultimately wrote over the entire 32mb partition (which holds my system 6.0.1 boot). The only way i am currently doing it is by using the original method (PC to 3.5 floppy) then using COPYIIPLUS to create sub directory in HD partition and copy all files on the 3.5 to the desired sub-directory. This way is time consuming and i basically want to eliminate the 3.5 floppy altogether. Anybody have some suggestions?

Also, i just installed 'Trans Prog III' to launch programs in system 6.0.1 (similar to windows start menu), i must be doing something wrong but i cant seem to put any programs in the tran prog start menu, any tips would be appreciated on this as well.

thanks in advance!

[...] i want to know if there is a way to exclusively transfer a disk image (ie: 2mg, dsk shk) using ADtpro send command and ultimately have it reside to a HD partition sub directory?
You can't do that - you're talking about a file copy operation there. ADTPro only understands whole-disk images.
Anybody have some suggestions?
What about carving out a RAM drive that is just about 1600 blocks long and copying your 3.5" images to that? I don't think you can make it exactly 800k, but if it's just a little bigger, you can safely ignore the size mismatch warnings. Then you can go back in with GSOS and copy over the files from the RAM drive to the hard drive.

I am not 100% sure but It sounds to me like you either want to:

1. read and write image files ON an apple II, I think shrinkit will fit that bill for you, it will handle disk images much like how winimage or rawwrite works on a PC with PC disks.
OR
2. copy said image files back and forth from a PC. I would look into some terminal software and XMODEM file transfers, OR some kind of drive that is compatible with both IIgs and PC (I use a SCSI JAZ drive, SCSI ZIP drive will also work) or if you have a CFFA card, that drive (CF or USB flash) can be read/written to via CiderPress on a PC, OR if you have a semi-modern "classic" Mac (with built in Floppy and Localtalk, I use a "Beige G3") you can sneaker-net them between on 800k disk, or setup a localtalk network and transfer that way.

Most of those assume your Apple II is a IIgs because CFFA, SCSI, and LocalTalk are all off the table with a "IIc Plus", which is about the only other Apple II where 800k disks are relevant. Sneaker-net and XMODEM terminal transfers are about the only options for file copies on a IIc Plus

thanks for the replies and suggestions. So correct me im not understanding this correctly. In order to send a 2mg, dsk, shk image to a hd partition on my IIgs hd i would do the following:

1. with a 2mg, dsk, shk, disk image, i use ciderpress to extract that disk image into its files.
2. use some sort of PC transfer program to transfer all the extracted files to the IIgs scsi hd partition.

If that is correct, what PC transfer program (vista) and IIgs transfer program would i need to accomplish this method? Also can all this be done with the existing connection (PC usb to IIgs null modem), or would i need to a physical modem to modem connection like the good ol days?.

thanks for the replies and suggestions. So correct me im not understanding this correctly. In order to send a 2mg, dsk, shk image to a hd partition on my IIgs hd i would do the following:

1. with a 2mg, dsk, shk, disk image, i use ciderpress to extract that disk image into its files.
2. use some sort of PC transfer program to transfer all the extracted files to the IIgs scsi hd partition.

1. You don't need to extract the files from the 2mg, dsk or disk image file. You might want to use CiderPress to extract the files from the shk into a usable disk image.
2. Yes you'll want to transfer the images to your GS if that's where you want to run them.

If that is correct, what PC transfer program (vista) and IIgs transfer program would i need to accomplish this method? Also can all this be done with the existing connection (PC usb to IIgs null modem), or would i need to a physical modem to modem connection like the good ol days?.

the program you'll want to use, if you've already got a null modem cable hooked up between the PC and the GS, is ADTPro which you can download here: http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/ this is hands down the best program to use to transfer programs and files between an modern PC/Mac and an older Apple II.

Hope this helps.

If you want to send the 2mg, dsk, shk files intact as files, you would need to transfer them with some kind of terminal program (with XMODEM or similar file transfer abilities) and your null modem cable. There are a number of terminal emulators for both the Apple side and the PC side, I cannot make any recommendations there.

1. You don't need to extract the files from the 2mg, dsk or disk image file. You might want to use CiderPress to extract the files from the shk into a usable disk image.
2. Yes you'll want to transfer the images to your GS if that's where you want to run them.

the program you'll want to use, if you've already got a null modem cable hooked up between the PC and the GS, is ADTPro which you can download here: http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/ this is hands down the best program to use to transfer programs and files between an modern PC/Mac and an older Apple II.

Hope this helps.
It sounds to me like he wants to move the Image files themselves, which ADTPro will not do, it can only transfer and uncompress images to disk, not copy single files.

This is all assuming I am understanding correctly what call-151 is after here. I am honestly not sure the point, most people want to write the images to disk to use them, on the apple side they cannot be readily used for anything useful from an apple as a flat file, only extracted to a floppy drive, so I am not sure the point.

It sounds to me like he wants to move the Image files themselves, which ADTPro will not do, it can only transfer and uncompress images to disk, not copy single files.
My interpretation of the point here is to have the contents of a .dsk, .2mg or whatever copied to a location on a hard drive, but skipping the 'make the physical floppy' step. One additional option (besides my original suggestion of ADTPro-ing over to a RAM disk of equal or greater size - something I am known to do from time to time) is to have the virtual serial drive serve the disk image over serial - that way local file copying software like ProDOS utilities could be used to copy from serial to a destination on the hard drive. It wouldn't work directly under GSOS (I may have to write a GSOS device driver one day...), but it is another option.

^^ yes I was looking into your vsdrive application. I haven't tried it as of yet but it may be the alternative (simpliest) solution. Im currently looking at handshaking Proterm 3.1 to vista hyperterminal as another alternative. I will report back on which application is best.

Back